Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

2009 Jamis Dakar XCT 2.0?

Does anyone have the 09 model xct 2.0? I just ordered one off of jenson and was wondering what people think if of it. I will be using it for a lot of xc type riding, and also dh trails and moderate jumping. I should have it here in probably two weeks (of course I order it memorial day weekend). How does it handle different terrain and elevation, like climbing and rocky descents. A lot of bob when pedaling or no?

-Tim

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by T174M
    Does anyone have the 09 model xct 2.0? I just ordered one off of jenson and was wondering what people think if of it. I will be using it for a lot of xc type riding, and also dh trails and moderate jumping. I should have it here in probably two weeks (of course I order it memorial day weekend). How does it handle different terrain and elevation, like climbing and rocky descents. A lot of bob when pedaling or no?

-Tim
    Ha! I just ordered the model 1.0 from Jenson. I figure I'll just upgrade the crank myself and it shouldn't be too bad. Coming from a cheapo motobecane hard tail I am sure it's going to be night and day for me. I'll let you know how it is if I get mine before yours. I ordered it about a week ago. It took the full 3 business days for them to do the build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by camoto
    Ha! I just ordered the model 1.0 from Jenson. I figure I'll just upgrade the crank myself and it shouldn't be too bad. Coming from a cheapo motobecane hard tail I am sure it's going to be night and day for me. I'll let you know how it is if I get mine before yours. I ordered it about a week ago. It took the full 3 business days for them to do the build.

You should definitely get it before I get mine then. Mine will probably ship next Friday, then it will take another 4 days to get here. I ordered it last night and the wait is already killing me, haha. I had the money to spend so I decided to go with the 2.0. I'm coming off of a 2001 P3, so this should be a big difference from me as well. I was using a 400 pound 9 speed P3 for AM type riding..Needless to say hills were pretty brutal and rocky descents were all about picking lines.

I was orignially going to get Pricepoints sette flight, but they didn't have that in my size anymore. Found this on jenson and it seems like a pretty dam good bike for the money.

-Tim

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I am sure you'll love it, you picked up a really good bike with some nice components.

I saw the "broken" thread before I bought. Someone made mention about a bad weld, but if you look at the picture it did not break on the weld, it broke right on the plate. My bet is that there was probably a bad batch of those plates during manufacture, so it will be interesting to see how they hold up.

I have been riding my current bike as hard as I can, so I can get a full appreciation for the new one when it arrives. I am really looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I got mine yesterday. Haven't had it on the trail yet, but got it all dialed in last night after work. I am definitely going to have to upgrade the crank I don't see it lasting very long. Other than that, very nice, I am sure you will be super pleased with the 2.0!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I got mine yesterday. Haven't had it on the trail yet, but got it all dialed in last night after work. I am definitely going to have to upgrade the crank I don't see it lasting very long. Other than that, very nice, I am sure you will be super pleased with the 2.0!

That's good news, where's the pics dudeman? My delivery date is scheduled for Tuesday, so I have a few days to wait yet. Post up a little report after the first ride also.

-Tim

mtbr member
    May 2010
    That's good news, where's the pics dudeman? My delivery date is scheduled for Tuesday, so I have a few days to wait yet. Post up a little report after the first ride also.

-Tim
    Will do both soon!

mtbr member
    May 2010

Wow

All I can say is wow. After riding a hard-tail "comfort" bike through the woods getting on this bike is like night and day.

It was a pretty easy setup, although the derailleurs needed to be completely re-adjusted from scratch. I don't know what level of setup they do at Jensen, but I would have preferred they just chucked the derailleurs and cables in the box then half-ass them like that. I was also a little surprised that they decided to use 100 PSI for pressure for both the shock and forks. Call me a fat ass but I really don't think that the average rider is going to be happy with that. Maybe it has something to do with shipping? I dunno. Other than that, the only thing I did was a lizard skin and diamond grips (after 15 years of using domino grips on dirtbikes, I just can't cope with anything else.)

It rides REALLY nice. Granted I am pretty biased because this is one of the nicest bikes I have ever ridden, but still, I can't be more happy with it. It handles the rocks and roots like they aren't even there. Uphills are a ton easier now that I am not pedaling an M1. I have a funny feeling my lard ass is going to bust that crank in two. It's the cheezy fsa alpha drive. I just hope it breaks close to the car or home.

Anyways, here's the pics. It was getting dark so the flash kicked in and screwed up the lighting, but you'll get the idea.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Looks great dude, glad you're liking it.

How well were the brakes bled from new?

Do you need a special pump for the shock?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Looks great dude, glad you're liking it.

How well were the brakes bled from new?

Do you need a special pump for the shock?
    Yeah I just picked up a hand held suspension pump for 30 bucks. It's crappy but gets the job done.

the brakes do feel a LITTLE spongy, but to be honest, I don't know if that's me or the brakes. I know a cool dirtbike trick you can do if there are air in the lines is to zip tie the brakes in the "on" position overnight and sometimes air bubbles can travel to the highest point which is your reservoir so I may try that just to see if there is a difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, it might work. I don't think those brakes even have a reservoir do they? I am good at bleeding the brakes on my mx bike, so these shouldn't be any different really. Does the bike seem sturdy/strong? I will be riding dh trails occasionly, and might take it to diablo to give that a go. I'm a pretty smooth rider (I think), so hopefully it holds up fine.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    ha! that's a good question.... I imagine they do have one though, I dunno!! It's not clearly obvious if they do or not to me.

Yeah, it definitely feels solid to me.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    A few more pictures, better lighting and the removal of about a half a pound of worthless stickers:

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Can you tell me the size of the rear shock perchance? Jamis doesn't list it on their site and I had just ordered one of these but found a sweet deal on Ebay for a Fox Float RP23, for what I believe to be the correct size, 6.5".

JensonUSA was no help.

Also, I'll need to figure out where I can get the new mounting hardware...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sweet bike, BTW

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by theskidish
    Can you tell me the size of the rear shock perchance? Jamis doesn't list it on their site and I had just ordered one of these but found a sweet deal on Ebay for a Fox Float RP23, for what I believe to be the correct size, 6.5".

JensonUSA was no help.

Also, I'll need to figure out where I can get the new mounting hardware...
    Did you try calling/emailing jamis? They'll probably be the ones to send you in the right direction for hardware too.

What's the difference betwen the xct frames and the sixfifty frames? Only difference I found was the xct has a slacker ht angle.
    Last edited by T174M; 06-06-2010 at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Did you try calling/emailing jamis? They'll probably be the ones to send you in the right direction for hardware too.

What's the difference betwen the xct frames and the sixfifty frames?
    Yeah, it seems like Jamis makes a point NOT to include their number on the site and simply defer people to the dealers for questions, however, I keep getting conflicting answers from my dealer on the actual size.

Oh well, I can just wait and measure it myself, not sure on the differences between the XCT and sixfifty frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, it seems like Jamis makes a point NOT to include their number on the site and simply defer people to the dealers for questions, however, I keep getting conflicting answers from my dealer on the actual size.

Oh well, I can just wait and measure it myself, not sure on the differences between the XCT and sixfifty frames.
    I believe the rear shock is 130mm (5 inch) of travel, but I have a feeling your looking for the eye to eye length right?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeap, that's the one I need.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sorry for the delay. Eye-to-eye is 7 7/8"

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sorry for the delay. Eye-to-eye is 7 7/8"
    Awesomeness, thanks for the info.

Once again my intuition fails me, not even close to 6.5".

mtbr member
    May 2009

Jamis XCT

hey all
    i picked up an XCT 1.0 up about 2 months ago, it is by far the best bike i have ever ridden. I feel a lot of bike companies will hop on board and copy this style of all mountain/XC rig. So far i upgraded the tires from the geax2.0" to some eskara 2.3". and the brakes, to a juicy 5. It climbs like a hard tail and descends like a downhill, i notice no pedal bob when dialed in properly and this things soaks up everything! Ive put over 300km on this bike already, and feel like it is riding better everyday. Do yourself a favour and go test ride some specialized, gary fisher, giant bikes then ride the jamis xct, and you will notice this bike is on a different level from the others!
    Thanks

fyl
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi, I am planning to build a bike with some used parts Dakar XCT 2.0 2009 frame with SLX groupset with a Rock Shox Recon SL 85-130mm U-Turn.

I have been reading a bit of reviews about the XCT and it seems that there are some complaints of pedal bob as well as it being not a very good climber. Can some XCT users provide some feedback around this ? How is the Fox Float R that comes with the frame with this regard ?

Tq
    Last edited by fyl; 06-07-2010 at 11:29 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fyl
    Hi, I am planning to build a bike with some used parts Dakar XCT 2.0 2009 frame with SLX groupset with a Rock Shox Recon SL 85-130mm U-Turn.

I have been reading a bit of reviews about the XCT and it seems that there are some complaints of pedal bob as well as it being not a very good climber. Can some XCT users provide some feedback around this ? How is the Fox Float R that comes with the frame with this regard ?

Tq
    I just rode a 2009 Dakar XCT 1.0 through all the trails at Tsali, and I have to say that the only time I ever noticed any pedal bob whatsoever was when I was climbing out of the saddle. But as soon as I planted back down I hardly noticed any. Towards the end of the trip I learned to just stay seated and jam on the pedals in an easier gear, and that seemed to work much better for the bike. This was my first extended experience with a full suspension rig (I rode a Spec Rockhopper for a few years prior), and I must say even though I know it was more weight, that my legs actually felt less tired at the end of the ride than they normally do.

So take my review with a grain of salt because I haven't had much experience with a full suspension bike.

The girlfriend offered a new rear shock as a bday gift so I am looking to upgrade it to a Fox Float RP23 which I've heard that with the propedal activated it makes a noticeable difference, we shall see.

Also, also, for anyone else who may be interested the rear shock sizing is as follows:

Eye to Eye- 200mm/7.875''
    Stroke- 50mm/1.97''
    Mounting Hardware- 10mm x 22.4mm Front, 10mm x 22.2mm Rear

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just rode a 2009 Dakar XCT 1.0 through all the trails at Tsali, and I have to say that the only time I ever noticed any pedal bob whatsoever was when I was climbing out of the saddle. But as soon as I planted back down I hardly noticed any. Towards the end of the trip I learned to just stay seated and jam on the pedals in an easier gear, and that seemed to work much better for the bike. This was my first extended experience with a full suspension rig (I rode a Spec Rockhopper for a few years prior), and I must say even though I know it was more weight, that my legs actually felt less tired at the end of the ride than they normally do.

So take my review with a grain of salt because I haven't had much experience with a full suspension bike.
    Good to hear someone's pumped on the ride. Mine should be here tomorrow so hopefully I can get some riding in this week or weekend.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast