mtbr member
    Sep 2009

2009 Dragon and Dakota Comp

Hi everyone,

I'm a big Jamis fan and I've already got a few Jamis hybrids but now I'm considering a couple of Jamis hardtails. Specifically the 2009 Dragon Comp and 2009 Dakota Comp. They have the same MSRP but the specs seem to be a little different. For example, the fork, headset, wheels, tires, front derailleur and BB set are different on each bike. Why is that? For the same price, which has the better components?

I'm looking to use this bike mainly for singletrack and cross country type mountain biking. The Dakota has carbon fiber monostays which are supposed to help absorb a lot of bumps in the trail, but since the Dragon is a steel frame, I think it does the same thing.

Does one work better than the other? How can I decide between the two?

Thanks,
    neneboricua

Geaux ride!

Dragon!

I'm a bit biased since I own a '08 Dragon, but I have ridden both and can attest that they are both great rides. I ended up choosing the Dragon b/c of it's steel frame, I felt it fit and rode a little better for me. I would advise you to do the same, ride both and pick whatever feels the most natural. Either way, you can't lose.

As for the different component spec, I suppose Jamis just wanted to be a little different with the bikes and offer one with a better fork while giving the other a better crankset.
    -'08 Jamis Dragon Comp
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary…that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    the difference between the 2 are the steel framed dragon vs. the aluminum dakota.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAg08
    I'm a bit biased since I own a '08 Dragon, but I have ridden both and can attest that they are both great rides. I ended up choosing the Dragon b/c of it's steel frame, I felt it fit and rode a little better for me. I would advise you to do the same, ride both and pick whatever feels the most natural. Either way, you can't lose.

As for the different component spec, I suppose Jamis just wanted to be a little different with the bikes and offer one with a better fork while giving the other a better crankset.
    Thanks for the info. The only problem is that I can't test ride both because no Jamis dealer within 100 miles (literally) of me stocks the higher-end hard tails. They carry the Trail and Durango series, but not the Dragon's and Dakota's. They're all willing to order me one, but it makes trying a couple out before I buy impossible.

I've resorted to trying higher-end hard tails from other manufacturers with similar geometry to help me decide which Jamis to buy. But even that is difficult. It seems that few LBS around here carry anything other than entry-level hard tails or $2500 full-suspension bikes....

Geaux ride!
    That sucks about not being able to try them out before pulling the trigger! As I said before, you can't really go wrong with either bike, they are quite similar in all respects except for frame material. I had to make the same decision you are making now (Dakota or Dragon), it came down to availability of my size and a slightly lower (at the time) price of the Dragon. I don't regret it one bit, and in retrospect glad I chose steel over aluminum. As they say: "Steel is Real!"
    -'08 Jamis Dragon Comp
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary…that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    the steel framed dragon will be more forgiving on a bumpy trail other than that the 2 bikes are very close. dakotas ride sweet but ive never rode a dragon.