mtbr member
    Jul 2005

2008 Jamis catalog is up in Adobe format!

Looks sweet, but I was dissapointed in the weight of new XAM's and BAM's. I was thinking the top of the line XAM would be 32lbs somehow and the BAM would be upper 30's.

I dunno why b/c that's not Jamis' style. They usually make their bikes heavier than the norm...but tougher than the norm too. Overbuilt to withstand Hell.

Over all, I really do like them and I want a Parker III sooooo bad!!! And a BAM and an XAM and a new Komodo!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    A link would have been nice!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah...I guess some people don't know Jamis' website by heart.

http://jamisbikes.com/2008_JAMIS_CATALOG.pdf

Are you with me
    Jul 2007

standover heights weird

I'm wondering about the standover on the 08 XAM and BAM.

I really like the look of these bikes, espec the BAM, and with the bent top tube you would think we'd be looking at generous standover. But looking at the specs, I'm seeing standover at 31.42" for a medium BAM. BB height at 14.49" explains this in part, but 31.42" is non-existent standover for me.

The 07 XAM with straight top tube had better standover for the medium, 29.76" with BB height of 13.07. I like this trade-off better.

again, the bikes look great, espec the Parker.

cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've never quite understood the standover height concern. I don't put my feet down in technical situations anymore though.

The BAM will have a huge standover b/c it's a Freeride bike with 7" of travel. It's not even comparable to the 07 XAM other than a similar design. When you really look at it, the BAM S.O. is pretty close to the XAM. That's impressive to me given how much bigger the bike is.

The 07 XAM is a 32lb aggr. XC bike with only 5.5" of travel.

The BAM is a 42lb hucker. I imagine the Diablo's standover would be poor too. You have to make the bike taller if you're gonna add extra inches of squish. I'm just bummed that the BAM is the same weight as the Diablo.

When you look at a bike like the SC Bullit that's so light and still tough...big drop bikes are getting lighter these days.

Are you with me
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    I've never quite understood the standover height concern. I don't put my feet down in technical situations anymore though.

The BAM will have a huge standover b/c it's a Freeride bike with 7" of travel. It's not even comparable to the 07 XAM other than a similar design. When you really look at it, the BAM S.O. is pretty close to the XAM. That's impressive to me given how much bigger the bike is.
    I agree with you re: freeride geo. I made a mistake in my post, the 31.42" standover refers to the 08 XAM. Though the BAM's standover is the same for 08, it gets a pass since the intended use is as you noted.

However, for my all-mountain bike, I expect to end up in situations where I could unexpectedly be ripped forward toward the bars. It rarely happens, but it has happened and the standover has saved me.

So, I guess the new XAM geo gives you more bb height at the expense of standover. Jamis has concluded that riders prefer this, most likely for the freeride-type activities you noted above.

I guess I'm a bit disappointed b/c when it comes time for me to buy my bike, I really want to consider Jamis. The Santa Cruz Heckler is closest to what I'm looking for, but where I live, there will be a lot of Jamis to test. Not so Santa Cruz.

Then again, the 07 XAM has the s.o. I like, so I will hunt up one of those for a test ride as well.

cheers