Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007

2008 Bam 1.0 Weak?

I've been hunting for an inexpensive FR bike, and came across a 2008 BAM 1.0 bike for a good price on eBay. I bought it, and then immediately afterwards came across multiple forum posts saying that this frame is prone to failure, especially in the chainstays.

Is this a problem with a specific lot, or do all 2008 BAMs have the problem? Are the new old-stock frames they are still selling at Jensonusa.com affected?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Don't sweat it. All frame mfgr's will see them. Jamis gets a bad rep. IMO it's b/c they offer bikes for reasonable prices that kids can afford. The down side being kids are dumb, don't respect their equipment, ride like hacks. They buy a XAM and take it off an 8' drop. They buy a BAM and run it off a rooftop to flat. Any frame will break eventually.

I've had one frame break....2005 XLT. Jamis replaced the swingarm quickly. New one never broke. I've got a 2010 Parker. Ride the crap out of it. I'm 200lbs. It's showing no signs of weakness.

Just ride it and don't worry. If it breaks, it breaks. Jamis CS will come through.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    It's not very confidence inspiring when the first person to reply broke a Jamis frame... PLus, I'm sure they wouldn't warranty a 2008 that I bought on eBay. I'm trying to decided if I should keep the bike and hope it doesn't break, or resell it.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Don't worry about it dude. Just ride the bike.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Well, I took a look around, and it doesn't look like there is anything else around for the price I paid, so I'll guess I'll try it out.

This will be the 1st bike I've had with a coil over. How do I measure the sag, and what should it be set to?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    $700 is a good deal. I was going to suggest Jenson but you paid less. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I wouldnt worry about it. Every bike maker or frame will break at some point. The problem with the Internet is that it focuses problems in one place. Everyone who breaks one comes and reports it on the internet while many many people ride their bikes hard and have not had failures with it. The Internet makes problems sound worse.

mtbr member
    I've put three full seasons of thrashing on my '08 Bam and have had no problems.