mtbr member

2007 Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0 fork

Has anyone tried a longer fork on the older Jamis XAM 2.0 with any success? I was looking at trying to increase high speed stability without sacrificing too much of the nimbleness the older geometry exhibits on tight technical trails. The current fork is a Fox Talas 32 RLC 140 and was debating about moving up to a 36 150-160 with the 20mm axle. I know this will add some weight, but also looking to fix some of the squirrelly handling on the faster downhills.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I use a 160mm Domain and I have seen zero ill effects. It wanders a little on the climbs but when that starts happening too bad I uturn it down and the problem is fixed. As far as maneuverability goes, I swapped out and old 150mm Manitou with the Domain and didnt notice any real change but coming from a 140, depending on the axel to crown measure (i think the manitou and the domain were pretty close) you may, but it should be too bad.

mtbr member
    pablo4429,
    Did you feel the change to the longer travel helped the overall downhill performance? I'm trying to decide if the cost of the fork will improve the handling enough or if I should apply those dollars to a new bike.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    hmm well, i only increased the travel from what it came with by 10mm so the geo was didn't change by much. with that said, it is most definitely the quality of the travel, not how much. I came off an old manitou stance flow which was pretty much a spring and some oil and put on the domain and that difference was huge, much more confidence inspiring. for you though, that 20mm increase may slacken up the geo enough to help you feel more comfortable on the steep stuff, it really just depends how you feel now. also. the 20mm through axle will make quite a bit of difference as far as stiffness goes over your current fork, your front wheel will not get tweaked as much though rock gardens and will allow you to follow your lines better.