mtbr member
    Jan 2007

2006 Jamis Dakar 21" bellcrank bolt hole stripped

Yep you read it correctly. After upgrading my rear shock from the Vanilla coil to a RS MC 3.3 I have managed to strip the threads in the bellcrank where the rear shock mount bolt connects. The aluminum is uber soft. I thought about just getting a longer bolt and putting a nylock on the end. I have just emailed Jamis and hope they have some sort of ideas about getting a better bellcrank. I hope this is not a sign of investing in a lower end bike from a good company.

Former Bike Wrench
    Jeez...I've removed and reinserted that bolt at least a dozen times (I switch between a coil and a air shock) on my XLT with no problems.

Maybe you need to ease up on the upper body workouts!

Just kidding, a longer bolt with a nylock would seem like the sensible solution.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Did you use a torque wrench or just did it by feel?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I did call Jamis techsupport and spoke to one or a few of the guys in Jersey I think, before doing this , because I couldn't find torque specs anywhere. They said they werre looking at specs that appeared to be in Taiwanese or Chinese and couldn't tell me what the torque specs were and to just hand tighten them. Okay.
    Maybe Jamis or someone from this forum sent me some Jamis Dakar suspension frame info document that says these bolts are supposed to be tightened to 80 kgf. Which is approximately 5.79 ft. lbf. Which is approximately 69.44 in-lb, which is what my Park torque wrench is set for. I even used blue loctite on the threads as others and Jamis tech support said would be a good idea.
    At this point I'm going to do the new, longer bolt with nylock nut, idea. Heck if it comes to it where replacing the bellcrank is around $100 total then a few hundred more to get an entirely new frame isn't that far out of the question.
    I just wanted to post my experience and see if anytone else had seen the same or similar and maybe come up with a few ideas on what to do. I like Jamis and really enjoyed my 2003 XLT 3.0 as well as this current bike. But the softness of the aluminum threads in the bellcrank leaves me looking for a hard-ier replacement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

heli-coil

I have had the Bell Crank nut strip, I took the bolt to an automotive parts store, bought a heli-coil kit, cheap and way stronger than original. I have learned since, the only reason they strip is that you must retorque before every ride, if both bolts are not exact as you compress, one side tightens as the other slackens, then the reverse as the suspensions cycles back up. I ran an Expert 7 years, only stripped one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yep that would work too. I was able to get mine warrantied.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    All repaired and back in service.

I really didn't intend for it to look bling-ish really, it just kind of happened.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (216.6 KB, 107 views)