mtbr member
    Aug 2007

2005 Jamis Dakar XC Comp, worth 600??

looking at a 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Comp, what do you guys think the going price used would be? do you guys know the retail price when they were new? would this be a nice machine for somone getting into XC riding ie. nothing crazy just some trails.

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    Dunno 2005 retail; 2006 was $1700. Jenson's 05 closeouts are 50+% off, so the absolute max I'd go to for used would be $800 for one of them "rode it two times" bikes. At the other end of the range, the previous owner of my 2005 XC Pro rode the heck out of the bike and I picked it up for about 35% of list a couple months back, which would be like $600 for the Comp. So the price sounds reasonable to me assuming you're getting a complete bike on which reasonable maintenance has been done and doesn't have any major issues like frame dents or pending parts replacements.

The Comp's a more than fine starter bike. Unless you're going to race there's fairly little value per dollar in going beyond the Expert---only reason I have a Pro is 'cause it's hard to find used bikes in my size.