keep going!

2003 Jamis Durango SX - CRACKED FRAME

I went to a nearby Jamis dealer to get fit checked, and after working that out (30 deg bend in knee at lowest pedal point) the shop owner pointed out that my frame is cracked on the head tube just above the left side of the top tube where it joins the head tube.

I don't have a pic now but eventually I can post one...

He told me he knew where to look because another customer had come in with the same issue in the last month or two.

I'm hoping that the replacement frame has V-brake mounting posts, because that's what my bike came with when I bought it in Jan 2004. The shop guy said Jamis may not have a frame with V-brake mounts

keep going!
    crack
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I guess it is time to go to discs!
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member

your luky

dude you have a 5 year old frame and Jamis will replace it? Thank your lucky stars. If my Intense m1 breaks i am done as they do not make any replacemnt parts for it.

keep going!
    Well....

I got ONE disc brake I had to pay for a new rear wheel, rotor and caliper, $50 headset (the old frame had a smaller headset) the front wheel/Vbrake/fork is still the same.

Jamis replaced the frame with a Durango 3 frame, they covered the labor moving all the parts to the new frame, that was cool.

It's obvious that V-brakes are very uncommon now on mtn bikes, only the $200 bikes have them.

The bike now weighs almost a pound more than it did (I have a very accurate scale)

Bike seems about the same, the top tube seems to be a bit shorter and I think the shop threw in some new cables because all the parts are moving great.

Jamis warranties the frame forever... just not any of the components that attach to it. 5 yrs is not quite forever
    Last edited by 2wheelzeal; 08-28-2008 at 09:27 AM.