Slow Goat....

2003 Jamis Dakar Sport 27.1 lbs....

Anyone have a lighter Jamis? If so let me know how you did it and what components you used. If yours if heavier i'll let you know what i used. I would like to get it lighter, but not sacrifice durability. I think this is all I can do. And yes it's ridable...
    Enjoy the lactic acid.....it's good for you

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    im going to weigh mine when i get home... i have an 06 XC Pro... i know its an the heavy side.... X-7 components..... Manitou Minute Fork.... Mavic CrossRides..... Hussfeldt OS bars .... so i have a ways to go to lighten mine...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've got a 2006 XLT 3.0, weighed it at 29 lbs, components: Fox Float XTT, FSA 115 OS stem, Race Face Next SL Hi-Riser bar, Juicy 5, 2007 XTR triggers, XTR FD, XTR RD, XTR Crank & XTR 970 pedals; SRAM PG990 11-34 cassette, SRAM 990 chain, FSA XC300 wheelset with Kenda Nevegals 1.95 and Giant lite tubes, Thompson seatpost, Velo Carbon saddle, Elite side entry bottle cage....that's about it...my goal is to reach 28 lbs...any tips???

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Your front fork weighs 3.8 lbs...I guess you could try and get a lighter one, although it won't necessarily be worth it. I just bought a 100mm Rockshox Reba, and it is supposedly 3.49lbs.

Slow Goat....

I am not sure you want to go lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackgold
    I've got a 2006 XLT 3.0, weighed it at 29 lbs, components: Fox Float XTT, FSA 115 OS stem, Race Face Next SL Hi-Riser bar, Juicy 5, 2007 XTR triggers, XTR FD, XTR RD, XTR Crank & XTR 970 pedals; SRAM PG990 11-34 cassette, SRAM 990 chain, FSA XC300 wheelset with Kenda Nevegals 1.95 and Giant lite tubes, Thompson seatpost, Velo Carbon saddle, Elite side entry bottle cage....that's about it...my goal is to reach 28 lbs...any tips???

Your frame and my frame is different. You have a frame with more travel and is more burly than mine, not to mention that your frame is heavier. Anyway you did a great job to get it to 29 lbs. I wouldn't go any lighter. But if you wanted to you could do a few things. Lose the bottle cage, use a Camelbak. I am not sure what kind of grips you are using, but i use ESI grips. ( the thicker ones. They are super light and comfortable for me.) Change out the rear rotor to a 140mm if you already haven'e done so. You will lose weight plus you will roll faster. The tires i used are Kenda Karmas. They are 480grams and they are 2.0's. Also your wheelset isn't the lightest. I use Hope Pro II hubs with Mavic 717. A small weight loss buy if you aren't using all the length of the seatpost cut it to what you use. Finally if you can get used to it use a Sella Italia SLR SADDLE they weigh 141grams. Looks like your making your trail bike to a x-country bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the tips...the wheelset maybe the next project to get it lighter. But I still want a light and strong wheelset. An LBS is offering me to build a DT Swiss wheelset (240S hubs + Revolution spokes + 455 rims)...should weigh less by 200 grams or more...and 32 holes. Cost is about USD700. The ultimate goal is a long-travel cross country / trail ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anyone have a lighter Jamis?
    Mines 25-3lbs.

But its a Dakota comp

XTR/XT, Manitou R7, Hayes El camino's, Tioga rims on Suzue carbon hubs (3.7lbs), stans kit in michelin XC dry's, carbon low rise bars. Still to come carbon seatpost and lighter stem and a set of race wheels.

You didn't specify duallie or hardtail

Slow Goat....

Actually the Dakar line in a full suspension not a hardtail

Anyway your hardtail is on the hefty side. Your goal should be 22-23 lbs. You should near the 24 mark after the upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by jaseh
    Mines 25-3lbs.

But its a Dakota comp

XTR/XT, Manitou R7, Hayes El camino's, Tioga rims on Suzue carbon hubs (3.7lbs), stans kit in michelin XC dry's, carbon low rise bars. Still to come carbon seatpost and lighter stem and a set of race wheels.

You didn't specify duallie or hardtail

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yeah, I know. i bought it to upgrade, most of the parts come off my old XAM2.It will have full XTR on it soon which will get the weight down a bit more.