Rider Found Dead

2001 Dakar Expert Pivot Bushings

The first time I replaced the bushings on my 2001 Dakar Expert, I sprang for the kit from Jamis. It was pricey, but I didn't want to mess around with trying to find replacement parts that might or might not fit. I got the bushings, sleeves and bolts from Jamis for about $120 CDN delivered. I didn't use the sleeves or the bolts. This time around, I decided to change out the sleeves, which I already had unused from the Jamis kit. This left me without any bushings. I couldn't get the existing sleeves out of the frame, so I took the frame down to a local machine shop. He pressed out the old sleeves, pressed in the new ones and asked me if I wanted new bushings. I said sure. He told me I had three choices: (a) buy new replacement bushings, which would take 2 weeks to order; (b) machine down the OD of the existing bushings and slip a 2mm sleeve bushing on top of the existing bushing, thereby facilitating replacement down the road because only the 2mm $0.25 sleeve bushing would need to be replaced; or (c) he would machine me a complete new set of oil lite bushings for $25.

I opted for the second choice. He machined the old bushings down and put new 2mm oil lite bushing sleeves over the old machined bushings, and the oil lite bushings are impregnated with oil which slowly seeps out and self lubricates the bushing. He said they should actually function better than the stock aluminum bushings, but I guess we'll see about that.

Anyways, just thought I'd let folks know that there are alternatives to the expensive Jamis kit, especially if you don't need the sleeves or the bolts.

I bought my Dakar Expert frame on closeout from Jamis two years ago for $149. Since then, I've replaced the bushings twice. Clearly, the bushings are a weak spot for this frame, as are the derailer hangers which are made out of butter, but I can't complain about a $149 frame that I've put about 3000 miles on. It is a PITA to swap out the bushings, but I guess all pivots wear out eventually.
    Last edited by Philber; 11-23-2004 at 05:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

questions....

Would you please clarify exactly which part of the system you are refering to as the "bushing". I take it the "sleeves" are the flanged steel tubes that are coated inside with an anti-friction material and are fixed (but removable) in the frame. On which pivots did you have this custom work done? Is any of this in reference to the mount points of the shock?

Thanks much in advance. And I totally agree with your assessment of the weaks parts of this frame; pivots and hanger. Stock up on both while you can.

Rider Found Dead

Yup ...

I'm calling the bushings the solid aluminum flanged pieces that go inside the sleeves. The sleeves are the semi-permanent steel flanged sleeves that fit inside the frame and that the bushings fit into. The first time I changed the bushings I left the sleeves alone, because they looked pretty good. This time they were toast so I replaced the sleeves and the bushings.

The bushings that he machined are the two big ones, in the main pivot, and the two smaller ones that join the rear triangle to the grey swingarm and have the little silver aluminum piece in between. I didn't touch the mounting points for the shock, although last time I swapped the bushings I swapped that bushing also - that's an easy bushing to find because all the Fox shocks use them, so most bike shops carry them. He machined the non-flanged surfaces of the bushings, taking off enough material so that he could slide a 2mm oil lite sleeve over top of the them and together they would be the same OD as the original bushing. It sure is a nice fit - there's no play at all and it pivots nice and smoothly. And, as he says, when these wear out, I just have to slide another couple of $0.25 sleeves on top - the idea is that the cheap sleeves wear out and the expensive custom parts don't. We'll see, but it looks pretty promising.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

excellent desciption; thanks...

Got the picture now; sounds like a nice piece of work. That should definitely extend the life of those otherwise lousy pivots.

I resorted to having a steel main pivot shaft made (thanks Marc, working great!!); a little heavy, but it will last a lot longer than the alloy one.