mtbr member
    Mar 2012

1997 Jamis Dakar Build

hello all, figured I'd post in here to get a little assistance, I'm doing a slow build on my 97' frame and would like some advice on direction. I want something that's a bit more burly then my current XC ride (2007 Kona Kula) to tackle some of the bigger drops and down hill portions I've been riding on my trails. Currently I'm painting it a Matte black so I have no photos of it yet.

I have an option to pickup Shimano XTR FD/RD, Shifters, Chain for around $100 but wasn't sure if maybe I should go with something else. I've always used Shimano LX or XT before and have heard good things about the XTR series and figured the price was right.

Here's what I have for it so far:
    97 Jamis Dakar Frame
    A headset (great name for a headset)
    Fox Float DRCV RP2
    Avid SD7 rear brake and lever

Thoughts on going a different route for components?
    Are the Bling Box Kits any good?
    Would Switching out to anything larger then a 100mm travel fork (120mm at the most) be a bad idea?
    Is a dropper seatpost a good idea?

With my budget build so far (slow has helped) I'll be just under $200 with the Shimano XTR components and what I have already so it gives me some free spending on Wheelset and a fork so any suggestions on that would be nice as well.

Edit: I haven't thought on handlebars or a headstem at all yet! open to suggestions for inexpensive stuff, I prefer just a standard steel or aluminum one tbh.
    Last edited by corivus; 08-02-2013 at 01:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    After all these years... I am still riding my 97 Jamis Dakar Team. I have had other bikes but still ride this as my main bike. I did go to a 100mm travel fork It is a Rock Shock Reba Race (2011?) but it did change the "feel" of it, made the geometry less aggressive. I have a Cane Creek Cloud 9 rear shock. Its still working great! I started my build of this bike back in 1997, so my components are "retro". Shimano XT, Avid Ultimate V-Brakes, Moots stem, post and bar, Cook Bro's E-Cranks. Wheels are 1998 Mavic Crossmax. All in all very retro, but it works! 23lb full suspension very quick and comfortable. I like Ritchey components but there are so many good ones out there you should be able to find something in your budget. Good luck on your build!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the input, I was getting some not so helpful answers elsewhere I will look into some of that actually

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I also had a '97 Jamis Dakar Team frame. I put a Marz. X-Fly fork on it (100mm) and it worked fine. Then I converted it to a single speed. Made an excellent FS single speed.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    funny enough that's the fork I"m looking at putting on it
    2007 Kona Kula

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by corivus View Post
    funny enough that's the fork I"m looking at putting on it
    Mine was a great fork. Back then Marz. was making all their product in Italy, and that fork was the nicest, plushest air fork I had ever ridden. Only had to rebuild it once.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah, one of my friends has one that needs a rebuild which I'm going to be picking up from him eventually, just picked up a SRAM X0 drivetrain, so the build has been going slowly for my taste. Out of curiosity what shock were you running? Was looking for a cloud 9 but I can't ever seem to find one either in the right price or I get to them too late.