mtbr member
    Apr 2012

15 or 17 inch Jamis Dakar XCT 650 Comp

Iím trying to decide between two Dakar XCT 650 Comp mountain bikes. One is a 15 inch; the other is a 17 inch. Both have the same 90mm stem and crank brothers off center seat post.

I felt somewhat cramped on the 15 inch and had to move the saddle back to the max point on the saddle rails. I also had to extend the seat post to about 1/8 inch from the minimum insertion line on the seat post. The stand over clearance was about 1.5 inches.

I didnít feel cramped on the 17 inch. The saddle placement was in the middle of the seat rails and the seat post extension was 3 inches from the minimum insertion line on the seat post. The stand over clearance was at most Ĺ inch but not such that I was forced on my toes to clear the top tube.

Im leaning towards the 17 inch and would be interested in any thoughts before I buy.

Thanks for your time.

mtbr member
    You don't mention your height, but I find Jamis runs a bit small. I have had many versions of the Dakar XC and currently have an 11 XCT Carbon and a few older Dakar XLT's all in size 19. I am 5'11.5 and the XLT feels a smidge cramped and the XCT is ok. By Comparison, I have a large sz 20" KHS XCT and it fits me like a glove. I find stand-over not that important these days in a 5" trailbike, but that's just an opinion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks Aresab. Appreciate yours thoughts. I'm 5'6"

Would prefer to stick with Jamis vice looking for another company.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    rydr, I'm 5'7" with about a 29" inseam and ride a 15 inch Dragon 650B. I agree with Aresab that Jamis top tubes tend to run on the short side, and moving up to a 90mm stem (from the stock 80mm) has made the fit perfect for me. I use a Race Face Turbine seatpost cut down to 350mm and still have 4 1/2 inches of post in the frame. The Turbine has 10mm of setback and my saddle is clamped towards the back of the rails.

A 17" frame would have resulted in the cockpit being all off with the bars way too high in relation to the seat, and no standover clearance.