mtbr member
    Dec 2013

'12 Dakota D29 Race - Anyone have it????

Anyone riding a Dakota D29 Race? Jenson USA has them 50% off and I'm itching to pull the trigger but can't find any solid review/remarks on it. Anyone have any experience.

Also considering the '13 Salsa Mamasita which I can get for $1500, basically the same components though a few differences including TA's.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Anyone out listening?

I'm now also considering a '12 Dragon Race or '12 Dragon Sport. The Dragon Race is the most expensive and is above what I wanted to spend but I hear it's a sweet ride. Can anyone comment?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm in the same boat, but reviews on the Dakota are slim. Everyone however seems to like their Dragons, but the sport version is a quite heavy.

Also so great deals on Salsa El Mariachi 3 for $999 @ Tree Fort and the 2 version for $1,479 at Universal. So far, Salsa El Mariachi 2 seems like the best deal and is beter spec'ed than the Dragon Race for less!
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by john.wilkinson@datacon.at View Post
    Also so great deals on Salsa El Mariachi 3 for $999 @ Tree Fort and the 2 version for $1,479 at Universal. So far, Salsa El Mariachi 2 seems like the best deal and is beter spec'ed than the Dragon Race for less!
    It's a bit of a toss up, some of the components are on the Salsa are better but not all. One thing to consider is that Jamis warranties their frames for life whereas the Salsa appears to be only 3 years. Granted it's steel so shouldn't be a concern either way, but worth considering.

mtbr member
    The D29 sucks. Stay away from Jamis. They break and the company will not stand behind their bikes.
    aka Aa ron

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I pulled the trigger on the Dakota D29 today. Jenson is offering 10% off which covers shipping to & from should I not like it. For the price, I haven't found anything that compares. I'll report back when I get it. ETA is 1/13.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dexley74 View Post
    I pulled the trigger on the Dakota D29 today. Jenson is offering 10% off which covers shipping to & from should I not like it. For the price, I haven't found anything that compares. I'll report back when I get it. ETA is 1/13.
    Did you get the silver in medium? I've been keeping tabs as well and noticed that was the first to sell out.

I pulled the trigger, too, albeit the day before they sent out the coupon. Sucks, but oh well, still a good price on a sick bike. The only stuff I've seen spec'ed like it in the same price range are from direct manufacturers. Looking forward to the new ride, just hoping the weather warms up a bit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathwater View Post
    Did you get the silver in medium? I've been keeping tabs as well and noticed that was the first to sell out.

I pulled the trigger, too, albeit the day before they sent out the coupon. Sucks, but oh well, still a good price on a sick bike. The only stuff I've seen spec'ed like it in the same price range are from direct manufacturers. Looking forward to the new ride, just hoping the weather warms up a bit.
    I saw the Med silver were sold out. I got the 19" silver. Looking forward to the new ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Any feedback to offer on this bike?
    Considering a purchase....they are down to $1200

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I got mine about a month ago and posted a review on Jenson. Great ride. Only negatives as far as I'm concerned were the tires. Jenson was awesome to deal with, I needed two items addressed after the bike arrived and they exceeded my expectations. If you move forward, setup a fatwallet.com account and you'll get another 4% cash back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I got mine about a month ago and posted a review on Jenson. Great ride. Only negatives as far as I'm concerned were the tires. Jenson was awesome to deal with, I needed two items addressed after the bike arrived and they exceeded my expectations. If you move forward, setup a fatwallet.com account and you'll get another 4% cash back.
    Thanks for the info
    How is the fit? Looks like you went with 19"?
    How tall are you? Do they run big, small?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wgerow View Post
    Thanks for the info
    How is the fit? Looks like you went with 19"?
    How tall are you? Do they run big, small?
    Yes, went with the 19". I'm about 6'1. I have a long torso so proper reach was important. 17 would be too small, 21 too big. 19 hit the mark for me. Can't say how they run. I did try a Specialized Carve Comp 19" and can say I like the fit of the Jamis better. Call Jenson, they'll help with sizing. I also used the fit guide on CompetitiveCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just curious, what were the issues?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yes, went with the 19". I'm about 6'1. I have a long torso so proper reach was important. 17 would be too small, 21 too big. 19 hit the mark for me. Can't say how they run. I did try a Specialized Carve Comp 19" and can say I like the fit of the Jamis better. Call Jenson, they'll help with sizing. I also used the fit guide on CompetitiveCyclist.com
    Based on that and in comparing dimensions to my SL29er I'd be a 17. Only 5'8"

I don't see how that fatwallet.com works. I signed up. Looks like only items with the little green dollar sign next to them are elidgeable? Am I missing something?

I too am curious what issues you had....

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wgerow View Post
    Based on that and in comparing dimensions to my SL29er I'd be a 17. Only 5'8"

I don't see how that fatwallet.com works. I signed up. Looks like only items with the little green dollar sign next to them are elidgeable? Am I missing something?

I too am curious what issues you had....

Thanks
    So once you're on the fatwallet site, search for Jenson USA. A box will come up that says get 4% cash back, shop now. Click that link and make your purchase. You'll get an email in a few days that you've earned $xx.xx back and when the funds will be available. When they become available, you can have the money transferred to your PayPal account or do other options.

As for the issues, one spoke was bent slightly during shipping and the rear brake was chattering. Jenson told me to take to local bike shop, have them repair and then they reimbursed me. They were great to work with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    anyone have a jenson coupon code they are willing to share. I am on the edge and need a little push. I too am looking for a entry race level hardtail. Seems like a great deal on a light bike. I can't find a lighter one with those kind of specs for roughly same price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Does anyone have any experience with a cannondale trail sl2? I know the specs are way better on the jamis that jensonusa has just not sure which frame setup I like better.