mtbr member

100mm fork on a '06 Exile SS

I want to replace to Manitou Axel fork on my '06 Exile SS. I found a great deal on a 100mm Fox fork, but the '06 Exile came stock with an 80mm fork. The '07 Exile moves up to 100mm. I compared the geometries between 06 and 07, the only differences are:

Standover - '06 = 741, '07 = 748
    Center BB to Top of TT - '06 410, '07 = 394mm

Enough with the numbers - they don't mean much to me anyway. Has anybody else upgraded their '06 Exile with a 100mm fork? If so, did the additional fork length have a negative effect on the ride?

Repo

mtbr member
    Yes. I have a 2006 Exile SS with 26" wheels. I ended up putting a Surly Instigator fork on the front...the Surly is travel adjusted to 100mm. The bike rides better, more upright, and I haven't noticed an adverse change in steering characteristics. I have a small concern about frame strength with this new addition, but I've been assured by many riders and mechanics that the additional 20mm height shouldn't cause any structural issues...especially riding XC trails.

Hope this helps.

IMBA Supporter
    Apr 2006
    I have a Jamis Dragon with a 100MM fork. It works fine, but the bike was designed for the 80mm. If you look at the detail specs you'll see Jamis changed the headtube length when they switched from 80mm to 100mm forks. At least they did on the Dragon which is very similar to the Exile.

I only went with the 100mm because I had an extra laying around to use.

Better a little on the high side than on the low side.

mtbr member
    All - thanks for the replies! I think I'll wait and look around and see if I can get a deal on an 80mm fork first, but it's good to know the 100mm is workable.

Repo

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I replaced my fork with an xc 700(100mm). IMHO I think it rides better. Bike got stolen and fork is gone...will replace with another 100mm.