mtbr member
    Feb 2011

'09 Jamis Dakar XCT 1.0 Rear Shock Upgrade

I am having some issues trying to find mounting hardware on a rear shock upgrade for my 09 Dakar XCT 1.0. The stock shock is a Rock Shox Bar 2.1 w 10mm hardware. The shock that I purchased is a 2011 Rock Shox Monarch RT3 w/12 mm hardware. Too much play. Has anyone done an upgrade, and where did you find your hardware?

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by muttonmark View Post
    I am having some issues trying to find mounting hardware on a rear shock upgrade for my 09 Dakar XCT 1.0. The stock shock is a Rock Shox Bar 2.1 w 10mm hardware. The shock that I purchased is a 2011 Rock Shox Monarch RT3 w/12 mm hardware. Too much play. Has anyone done an upgrade, and where did you find your hardware?
    Take the reducers from your bar and put them in your monarch There is no such thing as 12mm hardware.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Pretty simple solution, but I already tried that. I understand that you are saying that there is no such thing as 12mm hardware. The DU bushing on the Monarch is 12.875mm, the DU bushings on the Bar are 12mm. The OD of the mounting bolt sleeve is 12.00, ID is 10.05. The mounting bolt is 10mm. Basically, I need to find a sleeve that is ID 10.05 and OD 12.875mm. Not the easiest to find, and having a hard time getting in touch with the folks at Rock Shox to help me out.

What?
    Pretty simple solution, but I already tried that. I understand that you are saying that there is no such thing as 12mm hardware. The DU bushing on the Monarch is 12.875mm, the DU bushings on the Bar are 12mm. The OD of the mounting bolt sleeve is 12.00, ID is 10.05. The mounting bolt is 10mm. Basically, I need to find a sleeve that is ID 10.05 and OD 12.875mm. Not the easiest to find, and having a hard time getting in touch with the folks at Rock Shox to help me out.
    Most mounting hardware is 6mm or 8mm. Jamis is one of only a few companies to use 10mm. I am pretty sure you have to get the hardware through Jamis.

mtbr member
    Actually, I think he means the spacers that fit in the DU bushings. Manitou and inexpense Rockshock are 12mm, The RS Monarch, Vivid and all Fox all is 1/2", which I guess is 12.8. Anyhow, Fox will sell you 10mm bolt to fit in the the Monarch DU bushing. Give them a call, there are under 10 for each of the front and rear of the shock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I sent an email to Jamis, and was waiting to hear back from them. In the meantime I did find that universalcyles.com carries many different configurations for many different rear shocks, and they did have the 10 x 22.2mm that I needed. But then Jamis got back with me and sent me the bushings for a Fox Float RP23, and said they should fit the exact same way. So the bike is all back together, and rode it once in the 24 degree weather here in Michigan. A MUCH smoother ride. I am liking this!!!!!!!

'09 Jamis Dakar XCT 1.0 Rear Shock Upgrade-pc081030.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    How's the bike feel with the new shock? Better pedaling? I always feel like I get a little bob when I spin or climb (I've got the same original shock setup you had). I've thought about getting something with a few compression adjust settings. Do you find yourself changing floodgate setting much when climibng and then descending?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Pedal bob wasnt noticeable. I am 200lbs, and set the sag with 235psi. Rebound was set at 2 clicks above mid, with the floodgate at the mid position. I did not do much changing while climbing or during downhills. The shock made a world of difference on the bike. With the Bar 2.1, I could never get the rebound set correctly, and the bike either felt like it wasn't returning to neutral fast enough, or it felt like it was hurling me upward too fast. Witht he shock upgrade, the cornering was awesome. I weighed myself on a digital scale, then weighed myself witht he bike, and I was at 27.5lbs with my set up. I was stoked. Then I only got about 30 miles on the shock, and the seatpost broke clean through, just above the upper weld for the bell crank mounting pivot. BUMMED.... Now I am testing the Jamis Warranty Department. I bought the frameset through Jenson, and they are handling everything for me. The said it could take up to 3 weeks until I get a replacement. So until then, I am pretty much dead in the water.

What?
    Pedal bob wasnt noticeable. I am 200lbs, and set the sag with 235psi. Rebound was set at 2 clicks above mid, with the floodgate at the mid position. I did not do much changing while climbing or during downhills. The shock made a world of difference on the bike. With the Bar 2.1, I could never get the rebound set correctly, and the bike either felt like it wasn't returning to neutral fast enough, or it felt like it was hurling me upward too fast. Witht he shock upgrade, the cornering was awesome. I weighed myself on a digital scale, then weighed myself witht he bike, and I was at 27.5lbs with my set up. I was stoked. Then I only got about 30 miles on the shock, and the seatpost broke clean through, just above the upper weld for the bell crank mounting pivot. BUMMED.... Now I am testing the Jamis Warranty Department. I bought the frameset through Jenson, and they are handling everything for me. The said it could take up to 3 weeks until I get a replacement. So until then, I am pretty much dead in the water.
    I just had to do a warranty for my Parker frame through Jenson. (cracked chainstay) I had a replacement on my door step 2 weeks later. Great customer service.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Since you broke the '09 frame you'll want to read through this thread.

My two Jamis frames...

I could be wrong but I bet your replacement frame will be an '11 or '12

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Bummer about the frame. Must have been exciting when that happened, eh? Hope you came through unscathed. I ordered mine through Jenson and no problems so far (but I tend to ride pretty delicately, if such a thing can be said). Here's hoping you get a better frame (that's compatible with your new shock!). Glad to hear there's a noticeable difference and straight-forward upgrade path when it comes to new shocks and new hardware. Thanks for the writeup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yep, I came through Unscathed. Actually, after it happened, I rode it pretty hard on the rougher portion of the loop to get back to the trailhead. It stayed together. Jamis and Jenson have both gotten in touch with me. And due to size shortages, it looks like I am going to get a 2012 frame. Redsigned pivot, and with Fox float RP2 Boost Valve Shock. So, I will be able to have the option of the Fox or the Monarch Shock. Check around for an upgrade if you can spare the coin, it's a whole new bike. Ride On Brotha!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Good deal. Sounds like I need to start riding harder. Give us a review on the RP2 vs. the Monarch, eh? Cheers.