mtbr member

New question here. 07' XLT Shock Question

I have a 07 Jamis XLT 1.0 and I am considering upgrading the Fox Float R rear shock to the RP23. What size shock do I need to order or how do you measure the size of the current shock?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

XLT Shock info

Hey,

Here is the shock info that you need to order another shock for your XLT.

They eye to eye measurement is 200 mm. ( the length of the shock from the center of where the shock bolts go)

The stroke that you need is 50mm ( the length that the shock shaft travels)

6 x 22.2 F & 6 x 24.0 R: is the hardware ( bolts) that bolt the shock to the frame. 6mm = the hole diameter of the bushings, and the 22.2 and 24.0 equal the lenth of the hardware ( bushings)

Hope this helps.

So to recap:
    eye to eye = 200 mm
    Stroke = 50 mm
    harware = 6 x 22.2 front & 6 x 24.0 rear

Thanks
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Thanks, hopefully this new shock will help out with the bad out-of-the-saddle pedal problems.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

out of saddle ped. problems?

No worries on the help, but you shouldnt be having any out of the saddle pedal issues. Have you played with the shock adjustments?
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Yes, I have tried all sorts of adjustments and I still get quite a bit of pedal issues on the out-of-the-saddle type of climbs. Any other suggestions? I have it set at about 20% sag, I weigh 162 and I have the shock at 145-150psi.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I would try running about 15% sag, adding a bit more air and see how that goes. The XLT is a pretty active bike, try this and let me know
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    I ride an 05 XLT and have an rp23. I previously rode an XC Expert with a Float R AVA and then an rp23 as well. The difference is night and day for in and out of the saddle pedaling. Were I you, I would not even hesitate getting an rp23. It is by far the best purchase I have made for my bike.

Right now, I am considering getting mine pushed so it has a little more propedal range, and maybe an AVA sleeve for more adjustment and more linear compression, but it doesn't really need it.

As far as the eye to eye goes, it will be easier for you to find one if you look for 7.875in (200 mm eye to eye) x 2.0in (stroke).

mtbr member
    Thanks, I am going to try Skip's suggestion but the bike seems to be very active and I think the upgrade may be needed. Can't really get out on the bike until the weekend to see if the 15% sag with more air will help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

shock

Let me know how it goes, but dont get me wrong the FOX RP23 is a great shock and proPed is great as well as all the other functions.

But try out the other setting.

later
    sk!p
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Skip, I ran the bike this weekend with 158psi and it was MUCH better. I am going to up it to about 160-162 for my next ride. I have messed with the air pressure before but would have never thought about running that much above what the recommended pressure shows. WOW, the bike rides 100 times better, and it was not that bad before.

mtbr member

Where do you get the hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Hey,

They eye to eye measurement is 200 mm. ( the length of the shock from the center of where the shock bolts go)

6 x 22.2 F & 6 x 24.0 R: is the hardware ( bolts) that bolt the shock to the frame. 6mm = the hole diameter of the bushings, and the 22.2 and 24.0 equal the lenth of the hardware ( bushings)

Hope this helps.

So to recap:
    eye to eye = 200 mm
    Stroke = 50 mm

Thanks
    Just bought a FOX RP3 and need the hardware.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Hey,

Hope this helps.

So to recap:
    eye to eye = 200 mm
    Stroke = 50 mm

Thanks

Yo Skip!! What the crap is up with these stupid spring rate calculators?

I ordered a Van R around a year ago...Fox said I needed a 450 x 2.37" spring with it, so that's what they shipped. I called them this week and they said I should be on a 650lb x 2.25". It's been alright, but maybe a little too plush at 20-25% sag for my local trails with quite a bit of short steep climbs. I have been looking at spring rate calc's and they say anywhere from 550-650lb for a 190lb rider???

I ordered a 500 x 2.25 which should be here Monday. I'm shooting for a 15-20% sag. (slightly firmer)

I'm just confused.
    Last edited by chelboed; 04-12-2008 at 06:30 AM.