mtbr member
    Oct 2004

07 XCR Pro - Ride Report

I've ridden my XCR 3 times since getting it: two of those times were in races!

To preface this report, I should mention that I had two race bikes last season: a Turner Nitrous for XC and a Flux for Super-D. An expensive habit I know, but these are now on the chopping block. Even better, now I have one bike that does what 2 used to do!

The XCR performs both XC and SD duties as well as the Turners. While not as light as the Nitrous, the suspension is better and the ride is far more forgiving. With the RP23 in the locked-out "3" position, the XCR pedals excellently and absorbs the bumps perfectly. The whole bike performs really well with the suspension settings kept on the firm side, which also keeps the bike very responsive.

On literally my second ride I raced the Sea Otter Super-D race. My max speed was 43mph and I was hitting water bars at that speed and getting air. I would not have felt as comfy on my Nitrous at that speed, but I was relaxed on the XCR and just had fun!

Third ride: Sea Otter XC. For close to 40 miles, the bike performed flawlessly (can't say the same about my legs). Sand sections, tight singletrack, loose turns, long climbs. If I finished unhappy with my own performance, I was glowing about the performance of my bike.

The XCR is a very balanced ride that responds well to aggressive riding. You can pin it through tight turns and it tracks confidently - I even had some two-wheel drifting in the loose sections which requires total confidence in the bike (and tires: Kenda BlueGroove 2.0 up front, SmallBlock 8 in rear). The bike will go precisely where you tell it to, so don't get lazy!

I've got mine built to under 24lbs so the weight is really good. I just love the ride! Here's the other thing: this is a team deal so 4 of us parted with our old bikes and hopped on Jamis XCRs - and every one of us has the same impression... these bikes rip!

I'm looking for a home for two Turners now. They are fantastic bikes to have and have advantages of their own, but my XCR is a great illustration of how you can get top-level performance from a bike that costs a fraction of the "boutique" brands.

If you get an XCR, you won't be disappointed....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Wow that's great that the Jamis is so good that you're willing to part with two Turners. My budget can't quite stretch to the 07, but I'm looking at getting an '06 Dakar XC Pro

mtbr member

Good job! dude your jamis report

sealed the deal for me. The components are off the hook but I was wondering if the frame was to heavy for cross contry raceing. Your report convinced me it is an incredable mix of value and function. I do wish the frame was lighter but the components and the price more then make up for it. I am ordering my Jamis Monday.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    yoda2, maybe try the 07 XCR Expert w/ a wheel upgrade. should be much less money than the pro and would probably get you down in the 25-26lb range. same frame, basically the same suspension minus a couple adjustments.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

and another...

Today I raced the Mudslinger in Oregon, and true to its name it was crazy muddy with some steep chutes and slick roots, water bars and utterly slick and fast sections of trial. The bike performed flawlessly and mud build-up was not an issue. It feels like I've owned this bike for years already and it has only been a week!

mtbr member

07 xcr dakar pro has to

be the best deal going. the bike comes full xtr;crossmax slr wheels with crossmark ust tires, eastern carbon seatpost and sl bars. I cannot say the parts selection it is awesome. I have really been in pleasantily impressed with bikes performance particullay how it climbs and how it is able to handle the steeps and the flats. The steering is a nice balance between reponsive and twitchy steering. I am so glad I purchased this bike.