"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx

'07 XCR Expert Arrived Today!

Only took it for a spin around the lot so far, but what a great looking ride!! The blue is very metallic. One person called it "bass boat" blue, but I think it's more like a 70's muscle car blue. It absolutely glows in the sunlight!!

Front and rear suspension feels great initially. The bike feels very light and the 19" is 28.4 lbs without pedals. The ONLY issue I have with the spec is the questionable choice to spec Crank Bros...why spec a pedal that very few people use?

In the parking lot it feels quick and stiff...balanced, etc. Of course I'll know more on the trail.

Cons - 1. the new Dakar design means no bottle mount within reach while riding. Sure there's a bottle on the downtube, but....1 log = bye bye bottle and cage. I'll probably mount something on the back of the seat post below the saddle.

2. Clamp bolt for the front derailleur is a total pain in the arse to reach. Luckily this is one bolt you access rarely.

3. A third hose mount/clamp is needed half way down the tob tube. The rear brake hose just hangs out in limbo. Unfortunately I'm probably going to have a zip-tie right in the middle of the frame.

3 minor issues that are not a big deal at all.....I give the bike an A- right now. Hoping to boost it to A+ out on the trail!!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    The ONLY issue I have with the spec is the questionable choice to spec Crank Bros...why spec a pedal that very few people use?
    !!
    check this out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Dorkimus Prime

I think you'll like crank brothers...

AND they're light. I have a set on my RM Vertex and like them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    they look a sweet bike, the blue looks awesome.
    I got CB candy's on my XAM2, so far I'm not a fan they don't feel as good as the old Shimano's I was using, vague would probably be a good description of how they feel. I also get pain in my foot right where the pedal sits with them which is something I never got until using the CB's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    The ONLY issue I have with the spec is the questionable choice to spec Crank Bros...why spec a pedal that very few people use?
    !
    Yeah, what a bummer for you. A sweet FS racey bike with full fuggin XT and omg, you'll have to change to spd pedals. Cry me a river. You know you should just give me those candies and we'll call it even...

pedals and a lack of derailleur seem to be a very personal choice eh?

lol... bike is hot man, good for you. we'll ride soon.
    My one says BRAP!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Ha Plume...I got your Candy's right here!
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

the goose is loose!
    congrats! sounds like a good bike according to mba. mags rave about jamis bikes. so do i.

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    KJ, I hate you!!! Only out of envy though!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Holy bajeebus does this bike ride well! Did 4 hrs in Pisgah..climbing, descending, technical..the bike was just kick ass! I'll right more later...tired and hungy. Had to cross a thigh deep river/creek to end the ride and I was/am spent!

A- bike just went to A, not an A+ because of the bad bottle cage placement and questionable cable routing.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I got my Dakar XCR expert 2 days ago, Only been on 2 rides but i must say this bike is awsome. It climbs so much better than the 06 series of dakar and is just so good to ride the single tracks on, And the pro pedal works 100% unlike some other bikes that have it.

All i need to do is chuck my crossmax SLR one it and maybe start to change some of the easton suff over to lighter stuff maybe even carbon. This bike is A - 9 -10

Sorry for the crap pics