mtbr member
    Dec 2007

'07 XAM - Advice on Sorting it out?

After much research, product comparison, etc. I chose an '07 XAM 1.0 as my first FS mountain bike - coming off a cheap Scott hardtail that was my first mountain bike (only began riding about 8 months ago)...

I'm just shy of 6'2", and am curious if others of similar stature have found the stock stem/handlebar combination less than accommodating - and if so, what alternatives helped you to achieve a riding position more conducive to AM riding?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    What size have you got?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    21"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    And does it feel too long? too short?
    Did you get fitted correctly?
    A bit more info as to what you are feeling and the feel you want will help us help you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jaseh
    And does it feel too long? too short?
    Did you get fitted correctly?
    A bit more info as to what you are feeling and the feel you want will help us help you.
    Well, my first mistake was attempting to replicate the feel of the Scott - which was purely an XC ride, and expecting similar riding posture and handling characteristics out of the Jamis - as opposed to approaching the process as a transition in _style_, not just a change of _bikes_.

After stretching myself out with a longer stem (cleary a mistake on an AM bike???), I realized that *traditional* fittings tended to lend themselves to road and XC riding, and less to the bike geometry and position/posture that seems to be consistent with AM.

There doesn't seem to be as concrete a _starting point_ for fitment in the AM realm as there is for road/XC.

My limited observations tend to suggest a more upright riding position, shorter stems, stems w/more rise and/or riser bars. It seems that some of the fitment adjustments for AM riding are counterintuitive based on the accepted road/XC approach.

Part of my challenge is simply adjusting to the change from an "XC" posture to an "AM" posture (if there is even a definition of such....), and the other is simply not knowing what to expect with regards to how that should "feel".

So - I hope that sufficiently illustrates my dilema at the moment

Cheers!

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sounds like the XAM is set up the way it outta be. You are correct in your assumption that there is a difference in feel between both bikes.

If the XAM does not feel uncomfortable, but just different than what you are familiar with, then I would ride it as is and make the adjustments as they present themselves.

Congrat's on the new bike, wish I could get one.

Enjoy
    My car is red.

Birthday Collector
    bunglemutt - only you can say what is comfortable for you and what works - but you are correct - in general, the "AM" or rough trail riding position is a bit more upright and slightly back from an XC race position. If you still have the original stem - put it back on and try it out. Hopefully you have a few spacers there that you can raise or lower it a bit as you see fit. You may want to go a bit one way or the other, height or reach on the stem, but see if you like it the way it came. Does the shop that you bought it from have any "loaner" stems that they are willing to let you try to find the right length and rise? If so, that is a great way to get the bike to fit YOU. Good luck!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com