mtbr member
    Aug 2007

07' Dakota Elite

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. They are asking $1589 can. what do you guys think. Good buy? Anyone actually own one of these, I can't find any good reviews and I would love to hear what someone who owns one has o say about it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Not sure if this helps you, but I recently picked up the 2006 model from Jenson. I like the elite quite a bit. Keep in mind that the standover height in Jamis hardtails is way higher than comparable models from other brands. It hasn't been an issue for me though.

Overall, the components are good. In the 2006 model, the only weak point is the wheelset, which is pretty lowend. The nice thing is that they are easily replaced with a lighter set. The rest of the hardware is pretty good. In fact, I like that they gave you an xt crankset in the 07. My 06 has truvativ.

As for riding, since the frames look the same geometry, the 06 climbs well and rides very nice. It's very responsive, and it does seem that the carbon seatstays dampen the ride. It's a much smoother ride than my old aluminum hardtail.

Hope that helps. FWIW, I like the colors on the 07 model way more. But color wasn't enough for me to spend an extra $500. I got the 06 for $1100 at Jenson.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have one! I think I am the only person on this board with one. I love the bike. I sold an '07 SJ FSR Expert and bought this. I didn't care for the f/s and wanted to go back to a hard tail. I also wanted something unique. Plus at the shop that I got it from it was a special order so I got an automatic 10% off!

About the ride, it is fast and stiff! I love tearing through tight fast single track. It climbs really well and I like how they designed the bike for 100mm up front instead of the normal 80mm on a lot of xc hard tails. All of the components are rock solid. I like the XT better than the SRAM stuff that was on my FSR Expert. I also had the Juicy 7's on my previous bike and the Jamis has Juicy 5's. The levers aren't quite as nice but performance wise I can't tell the difference.

I think the best thing about this bike compared to other hard tails is it's just plain beautiful. The "swoopy" rear carbon seat stays are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Markvdw
    Keep in mind that the standover height in Jamis hardtails is way higher than comparable models from other brands. It hasn't been an issue for me though.
    - I noticed that the top tube is much higher as well. The top tube isn't too long though. I'm about 5' 7" and the 17" fits well.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Last edited by Mike A; 08-17-2007 at 09:49 AM.