Thread: 07 Dakar XLT

mtbr member
    May 2007

07 Dakar XLT

what is the difference between 07 XLT compare to the one before?

What is the maximum fork travel it can take?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I believe that the suspension design is the same as the previous models. You will get the latest of all the updates they have been doing to the bike over the years. The rear suspension links had some weak points that resulted in breaking on the '04 and '05 models, they did updates on them in '06 and you should be good to go for durability.

The other difference is that because they only make one XLT for this year you dont get a choice in build spec. The new XAM looks amazing though.

Anything more than a 140mm fork is too much in my opinion, I have the Manitou Minute 3 on mine with adjustability from 130mm to below 100mm and I love it. At 130mm it flies on decents.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Fwiw, I would bet this is also the last XLT, and we will see 3 XAM's next year.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah, i agree. I'm guessing thet had a bunch of leftover XLT frame they needed to get rid of. I got the XAM 1.0 and I am pretty happy with it. I won't change much unless it breaks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The swingarm is different than previous yrs. The chainstay-yolk joint is "oblique" instead of perpendicular. The "webbing" near the dropouts is different as well.

I wouldn't go over 140mm for a fork unless you want it "super slack". I think the Fox Float / Vanilla 32mm forks are perfect for it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    The swingarm is different than previous yrs. The chainstay-yolk joint is "oblique" instead of perpendicular. The "webbing" near the dropouts is different as well.

I wouldn't go over 140mm for a fork unless you want it "super slack". I think the Fox Float / Vanilla 32mm forks are perfect for it.
    Thanks thos i dunno wats yolk or webbing, anyway its better than previous year model rite? since its an improved version......
    anyway, the float R rear shox still bob like hell when i ride. its factory setting is at "medium".
    i m around 70kg so what is the recommended sag (in mm)? air pressure?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My Float R in the ''Med" setting bobbed quite alot too. When I replaced it with a Van R, it Killed 2 birds with 1 stone.

Your sag settings aren't based on your weight, moreso the shock stroke. So... the XLT rear shock is a 7.875'' X 2" and sag should be 15% to 25% depending on your preference. Just plug in the Stroke (2") X 20% and go from there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dezmo85
    i dunno wats yolk or webbing?
    The yolk is where the main pivot bearings are... The chainstays are welded to the yolk. Yes, yours is an upgrade.

Try running about 10mm of sag to start.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thanks guys. great help there. will try it out later. xlt is a killer to climb especially wif the bobbing relic also. maybe an increase of preload might help? what do u guys think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    All I can tell ya is that I never liked the Float R on my XLT. When I ran 15% sag, it helped cancel out some bobbing but I'd still bottom it out on goofy stuff like ditch crossings, let alone drops.

Now I run 20% sag with my Van R and I don't bottom it out except for larger drops. It also has an MCU bumper to help out with the harshest portion of the end of stroke. I don't have bobbing issues anymore either.

It's like the "middle setting" from the factory in 2005 is not as effective as the "middle setting" on the 2007 shocks. Maybe they use different oil...I dunno.

I would try increasing preload a little if you're not happy with the pedaling performance. It may be too squishy for ya.

I hate air shocks.