mtbr member
    Mar 2007

07 Dakar XCR Expert for XC Racing

Hey everyone!

I am strongly considering purchasing a 07 Dakar XCR Expert for XC riding and racing. I plan on racing about 12 times a year including 1 or 2 24 hour races. I wanted to see if anyone had any insight before I make the leap. I am going to make a few upgrades to lighten up some more, but out of the box it looks great. I know most people reading this ride Jamis, but what I would like to hear anyone's opinion as to whether this is the right bike? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Mountain Bike Action tested the bike in Febraury this Year and gave it a nice review. I myself rented it for a day and loved it. Try to get a back issue of that magazine.
    07 Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0
    07 Fuji Tahoe Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    PM me your email and I can send you the digital copy of MBA with the test in it.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    I ride the 07 and LOVE IT! Depending on how serious you are about racing, and if you really looking to compete (win, podium, etc) the only thing I would change is the wheelset. It's a nice mid-weight trail wheel, but for all out racing you certainly could go lighter. With that said, I am racing mine a couple times and doing a solo 24 race and I am not changing the wheels.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey kk thanks for the response. Because I am saving some money, I was going to at least change the spokes and/or the whole wheelset set up. Did you get a weight on your bike? The catalog says 27.5 but doesn't say for what size. I wanted to see how accurate that number was. thanks

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    I have a 19" and I swapped out the Crank Bros for SPD's. Mine is weighing in at 28 1/2 or so. UST wheels w. non-UST tires could easily save you a pound or more. My choice of pedals added some weight as well.

it's....
    2007 XCR looks like an exact copy of Mountain Cycle Zen.
    There are some good deals for that model to consider.
    http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...OD&ProdID=1496

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    I'll take the XCR with the Fox fork & shock any day over the 5th Element and Manitou combo. 5th Element isn't even in the bike business any more...so for $300 more I think the XCR is a no-brainer. Actually the MSRP is lower on the XCR.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Here's a pic of my '07 XCR. Still waiting for the trails to dry up before I take it for the maiden voyage.

07XCR1