mtbr member
    Jan 2008

07 or 08 dakar, worth the wait...?

Im looking for a quality, new, fs bike as my first "real" mtb. Im not willing to spend an arm and a leg to test the waters of true mtb - by that i mean mostly aggressive xc riding, and the occasional trip to the hill country (TX). I stumbled upon the 07 Dakar xc in a LBS - looks fantastic, rides well, seems to fit my needs. However, this is their last 17" Dakar frame they have (its on clearance accordingly) and if i do not make a move soon, it will probably be gone - no reserve. They informed me that the 08 will not arrive until late February/early March.

Bottom line - are the upgrades to the front/rear suspension, from the 07 to 08, significant enough on this entry level fs bike that a newbie like me would appreciate it? Im also skeptical about paying 150+ $ more basically for the same bike.

Any advice and/or experience with a Dakar/Jamis as a whole would be appreciated.

mtbr member

Just get it...

If you like it and you feel the price is good, just get it. If you wait for it, the bike will be gone. Then when you want to ride it will be too late.

mtbr member

Agree - don't wait.

Tho 07 is a nice black and blue color, the 08 looks to be white. According to the specs, the shock is the same, the forks may be better, but all in all, very similar. You don't mention your size, but if you are large enough for a 19 inch, Jenson usa has a killer deal on a 2005 for 359. It has disc hubs but does not come with disc brakes so the upgrade can be inexpensive. Of course, if 19" is not right ...

I have a 2003 sport, 2005 dakar as well as a 2005 XLT 2.0. I still enjoy using my Dakar.