not in Vienna

'05 XLT w/ Swinger 3-way vs. '06 XLT w/ Float R -- which to choose?

Given the choice of these two shocks on basically the same frame, which would you choose? Both are air shocks. Both frames/shocks are leftover new old stock, both are claimed 5" travel. Both frame/shock combinations are around the same price (within $20-30).

(1) 2005 Manitou Swinger 3-way, on 2005 Jamis XLT.
    (2) 2006 Fox Float R w/ factory-set propedal (not adjustable), on 2006 Jamis XLT.

The Swinger 3-way has adjustable SPV pressure, which in theory should make it more tunable than the non-adjustable Float R. But in general, I'd rather have a Fox shock than a Manitou shock. For those of you who have ridden the XLT with a SPV shock -- is the platform annoying and notchy on these bikes, or is it helpful in reducing pedaling-induced bob?

If I do this build, the front end of the bike will be a 140mm Fox Vanilla RLC.

Other factors: the 2006 XLT supposedly has improved (stronger) chainstays, vs. the 2005 which has had problems with breakage. I think the 2005 frame is anodized (and IMHO the graphics look nicer) than the 2006, which I think is painted, but this is by far the least important consideration.

mtbr member
    Well...a few of thoughts

The 2005's are not anodized, their painted to look anodized...but I agree that they look better. As far as stronger swing arms, some...but not all 2005's had swingarm issues. But Jamis has been quick to warranty any broken swingarms. And last, I had a Float R on my 2005 XLT and found it to be very disappointing. I don't have experience with the Swinger 3 way, but the thought of being able to adjust the platform dampening would be appealing.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    If you don't like bobbing a platform shock is a most for this frame. 05 frame paint looks way better than the very ugly 06 scheme. 06 have better chainstays thou.

Hard as nails
    Go wit the Swinger 3 way fo so It has a larger air volume which means it will be plusher, have a tuneable platform to go with the rebound adjustment. I have had time on both shocks, I definitely prefer the Swinger 3 way over the Fox Float R.
    [SIZE="4"]Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau[/SIZE]

http://vimeo.com/6232260

not in Vienna
    I bought a used Yeti 575 w/ Fox RP3 instead. Build is in progress... going slowly, since I wound up needing more parts than I thought I'd be able to swap from the old bike.