mtbr member
    Feb 2007

'05 XLT Remorse?

I am picking up my '05 XLT 1.0 tomarrow. I have been really excited about this bike until I came on these forums to read up on it. Is it just me or does there seem to be alot of mechanical complaints with Jamis bikes? I mean the other brand reviews like Specialized seem to have no complaints. But in almost every thread I read about these Jamis bikes someone is complaining about something, like bad bearings, poorly mounted derailures, breaking frames etc...

Maybe I am just being paranoid but I see alot of threads with people saying that they like the bike except this problem or that. Can some of you that actually have these bikes tell me the real scoop on these bikes? I really hope that I don't have all of these problems that I read about. I mean I see people say they are great bikes and then give a laundry list of problems in the same breath. Please ease my nerves!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Relax, it's a great bike! The 99.9% of Jamis owners with no problems don't come into the forums.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I guess thats true. I appreciate the reply. I will take it for a test ride today. I'll post a review.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Well I got the bike yesterday and did some street riding. I have to say that I really like the bike. My only complaint is the tires. I mean what a piece of crap. I rode through the grass in a park and got a small thorn in the sidewal and got a flat my first day. Jamis should be ashamed of putting these tires on a bike in this price range. But if you have to cut costs I guess it's better than cutting components.

But overall so far so good. My "19 full suspension is lighter than my friends "17 hardtail Hardrock. So I see where the money pays off. Well I'm going tire shopping.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Don't sweat it.

Ya know...I blew out my rocker arm bearing and broke my chainstay, but Jamis is making it right by sending me a new rear triangle.

Given those problems...I still love the bike. I think it's a great value and a KILLER ride.

You'll enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i also snapped my chainstay last year. theywere good about replacing it. i hate the minute fok. it makes the bike feel like an endo mchine. the seatpost clamp also sucks,the seat always slipped.i had to replace it
    CREV

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CREV
    i also snapped my chainstay last year. theywere good about replacing it. i hate the minute fok. it makes the bike feel like an endo mchine. the seatpost clamp also sucks,the seat always slipped.i had to replace it
    You mentioned in another thread that the wheel didn't sit straight in it...did that get fixed?

I've never had a Manitou fork, but my Vanilla has been pleasant. I'm 190lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    yeah it did get fixed, the shop was good about it. they replaced the part again without hassle
    CREV