mtbr member
    Jun 2005

'05 XLT HELP... 2.5" Nevegal DH fit??

Just a quick question... I am putting bigger meats on my bike, and I have a 2.5 Nevegal DH Stick-E that I can throw on to an older wheelset I have. (going to beef things up for a little chairlift DH). Has anyone been able to fit a 2.5" Nevegal ro BG (Sticke DH casing) tire on the back of an XLT '05? The seatstay brace looks like it may hit, but it is always hard to tell till you get them mounted up... anyone haveing luck with this setup?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I had been riding 2.5 Weirwolfs on my '03 XLT, without any issues. However, the weirwolfs are probably not much bigger then the 2.35 nevegals, perhaps just a tad.... but there does appear to be room. You may just have to do a bit of trial and error-

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mp29k
    Just a quick question... I am putting bigger meats on my bike, and I have a 2.5 Nevegal DH Stick-E that I can throw on to an older wheelset I have. (going to beef things up for a little chairlift DH). Has anyone been able to fit a 2.5" Nevegal ro BG (Sticke DH casing) tire on the back of an XLT '05? The seatstay brace looks like it may hit, but it is always hard to tell till you get them mounted up... anyone haveing luck with this setup?
    I was just researching this myself, but I have no answers. Id be very nterested to find out, because I am looking at buying new DH tires for my XLT, but need to make sure they will fit on my Fox Float shock and my frame. If you find out, id love to know.

Mike

Silence and Thunder...
    I put a set of 2.5 Conti Diesels on my gf's XLT. They fit, but the chain would rub on the back tire in 1/1. It didn't hurt anything, just made noise, but I swapped out the rear tire anyway.
    Go w/ a 2.5 up front and a 2.35 in the back...
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

It fits...

I fit a 2.5 Nevegal DH Stick-E in the back (with room to spare). I was also able to run a 2.5 Blue Groove Stick-E on the front in an '03 Fox Vanilla 125RL. You should be fine with the float too (I imagine the lowers are the same on the float and the vanilla except for color and stickers.)

Unfortunately when putting the tires on, I destroyed 2x $10 Maxxis DH tubes and 1x Maxxis $5 Welterweight tubes... I think when getting the final section of the tire on the rim it is pinching the tube... either that or the metal tire irons I am using (which are ARE actually quite sharp) are contacting the tube and puncturing it. I was actually able to get the front tire on the third try (with a Welterweight tube that is undersized :-(, but the rear tire is still giving me problems.)

I am sufficiently frustrated with the waste of money and time at this point. Anyone that has tried to remove/ install DH wire bead tires knows how hard it can be even with 8" DH specific tire levers... I am using 4" metal cheapo levers. Any suggestions.

the goose is loose!
    use bigger levers, and inflate the tube to a 2/3 to 3/4 (or so it stays round inside the tire) and use "duller" tire irons.