mtbr member
    Oct 2006

05 Dragon Fork ?

I know that there has been much discussion on the forums in general about the use of 80mm vs 100mm forks. And trust me I have spent about 2 hours a night for the past 3 weeks searching for any info for this my first build.

But I hope someone on here can address the question with this specific frame. I have an 05 Jamis Dragon frame and from what I have found they came with an 80mm fork. However I'm not having the best of luck in finding a fork in my price range with 80mm of travel. I am coming across a few good deals on old stock Manitou R7s but they are all in 100mm. Does anyone have experience with a 100mm fork on an 05 frame?

The bike will be both my first build and my first bike to race(hopefully). While I'm sure 80mm would be the best for race I will also be riding this bike for training and any other ride here in Ohio- so the terrain is not too terrible.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007

Of course a personal preference...

I've an '05 (maybe 04? the seller wan't entirely clear) 19" dragon with a 80mm Skareb and use it mostly for training, smoother trails, or trails with lot's 'o verticle climbing here in Colorado. It has a 80-100 ride kit. I found the extra 20mm a bit noticable and slacked the head angle a bit too much for a tight riding hard tail, more noticable to me when getting in the rough stuff. So I backed off to 80. I guess the point is that 20mm made more difference then I though it would to ride feel.

But that of course is a personal preference issue. Not a bad option though, finding a 80 - 100 ranged fork so you can work it out at leisure. A older SID matched pretty nicely too.

Curiously I also had an '05 Dakar Pro which has very similar feeling geometry and found the same issue to be true. But since it was a full shock it was a little more forgiving in the rough stuff and I stuck with the extra travel for that extra bit of room for larger hits. Well, till I upgraded to a Ventana X-5...