mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 05 dakar xlt frame question

k so i have an 05 dakar xlt 2.0. the pivot where the seat stay attaches to the rear shock assembly has blown out. and i went to my local jamis dealer and they said that i needed to order an entire new seat stay along with the bearing kit. i don't feel like spending 170 bucks on that so i am wondering why i can't or if i can, just buy the bearing kit for 50 and fix it myself, i work at my schools bike shop (UNC-Asheville), or take it somewhere with the kit and have them fix it.

any input or stories/advise, would be greatly appreciated.

~Neal
    ps. this is my first post, i'm so excited.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My buddy has this frame and his along with everyother XLT owner out there will replace these unless it turns into a Garage Queen .

These bearings are tiny, almost like skateboard/rollerblade bearings. We found a blowout diagram of parts and just bought them individually. It did not cost $50. All the races were gone and the shells were hard to get back out. Use lots of liquid wrench to loosen things up and sets of sockets and a big c-clamp or vise.

Might as well look at the seatstay and main bearings too.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Not sure if this helps, or if it is even the right part, but I've been looking at buying a set of these bearings just to have. Price seems very reasonable, but again, I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=019