mtbr member
    Jul 2010

05 Dakar xc pro for sale in my area. What to ask and look for?

Someone is selling an 05 Dakar xc pro for $500 in my city. I'm looking to buy my first full suspension rig. So far I know it has leaky fork seals. Waiting on the owner to answer some questions. What else should I look for? Is the 05 a quality frame design? Will I be happy with it for at least 2 seasons? Is the asking price on par considering what 09 models are going for on jenson? How much does it cost to have leaky seals repaired?

mtbr member
    I'd check if it really is an XC Pro. I just looked in the 05 Jamis catalog and that was one of the high end dakars with carbon fiber seat stays. The picture in the catalog is blue, you can find the old catalogs on Jamis' website. Anyhow, that model had bearings instead of bushings. The comparable model to the one you mentioned from Jenson was the Dakar or Dakar Sport. I've had a few Dakar Sport models and always enjoyed riding them. I prefer more travel so as of now the main bike I ride is a 2005 Dakar XLT. 500 for a 5 year old bike that might have been 2500 (guessing) seams reasonable depending on condition.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have an 05 Expert which has the same frame/carbon seatstays as the pro. spec is different, but I think 500 would well worth it as long as they didn't change out all the parts. It should pretty much be full XTR with SLR wheels.
    Yes, I do have a 29er. And yes, I still ride my 26er