mtbr member

'04/'05 XLT Rear Tire clearance ?????

Anyone know how big you can go? Seems obvious that 2.35 will be fine, but how about 2.4 to 2.5?

Little help please! Thanks.

mtbr member

How can 22 people......

.... view a forum with out one person knowing the answer?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I had a 2.25 on mine and no issues so I would assume that a 2.4 or a 2.5 would fit. Remember though it is hard to say I have seen 2.4s that measure out way small and 2.1s that measure out way big. I just replaced my 2.24 Mutano Raptors with 2.1 Fire XC Pros and can say that they are much smaller even though they are only supposed to be .15" smaller.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Try taking it in to your LBS and see if they will let you put a wheel on it off of a DH bike and see how it stacks up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yogidave
    Anyone know how big you can go? Seems obvious that 2.35 will be fine, but how about 2.4 to 2.5?

Little help please! Thanks.
    I've run both specialized specialized 2.3 enduros, 2.3 chunders and 2.2 adrenalines (all of which are as a big as a 2.5 maxxis), no problems (width isn't an issue - the limiting factor will be mud clearance to the bolt on brace between the upper chainstays). At the mo I've got conti 2. gravitys on it - heaps of clearance (perfect for winter)

mtbr member
    My 05 XLT came with 2.30 tires, there is still room to run my fingers around it just touching the swingarm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My 04 XLT 3.0 came with 2.30 Hutchinson tires. Since then I've tried Kenda Nevegal 2.35 in the rear and Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.40 in front (Fox Talas RLC fork), both on Mavic Crossmax XL rims. They are not even close to rubbing anywhere, so there is definately room for a wider tire!

mtbr member

Exactly what I needed to know!

Quote Originally Posted by opodden
    My 04 XLT 3.0 came with 2.30 Hutchinson tires. Since then I've tried Kenda Nevegal 2.35 in the rear and Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.40 in front (Fox Talas RLC fork), both on Mavic Crossmax XL rims. They are not even close to rubbing anywhere, so there is definately room for a wider tire!
    I think we can close this forum thread with all this good feedback.

Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Just looking at my xlt, thinking about replacing the worn stock tires. It seem that the chain when in small ring and largest cog is with in a centimeter of tire nobs. Has any one had the chain rub or catch on the side of larger tires?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_mudpuddle
    Just looking at my xlt, thinking about replacing the worn stock tires. It seem that the chain when in small ring and largest cog is with in a centimeter of tire nobs. Has any one had the chain rub or catch on the side of larger tires?
    Nope, 2.35" Kenda Nevegal DTC's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_mudpuddle
    I've run a pair of Kenda Kenetics 2.6 - cleared the stays ok, never rode in enough mud to have issues, but the chain would rub the tire when in the granny up front and the big ring in back... therefore, only an issue when climbing and only a little annoying.

mtbr member
    I had Panaracer 2.4 FR, which I believe Shiggy had measured to 2.55" at the knobs. They fit fine. However, be prepared to start noticing frame flex with that much traction. This was a 2005 XLT.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert