mtbr member

Your Hollowpoints - how much do they weigh??

How much do your IH hollowpoints weigh in at?

I'm curious to know as I'm still considering a 2004 IH Hollowpoint frame. I found a shop willing to part out a 2004 Hollowpoint expert down to the frame, shock, headset, seatpost and seatpost clamp (I already have many solid XT parts to put on it as well as a Mavic 317 wheelset and was thinking of a Talas or Vanilla up front). I also have a Thomson stem, Fizik Nisene saddle, time atac pedals.

But I'm curious to know whether or not I can get a hollowpoint in around the 27 pound or lighter range with what I've got.

It would be a huge help if you could post the year of your frame, it's size and some of the key components along with its weight if that wouldn't be too much trouble.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Mark

Riding a Rig.
    here is some info on what weights people have achieved: HP Expert 17.5" = 31.4 lbs?
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    Thanks - so 28,29,30 pounds seems to be the norm eh? hmmmm.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by CTRider
    How much do your IH hollowpoints weigh in at?

I'm curious to know as I'm still considering a 2004 IH Hollowpoint frame. I found a shop willing to part out a 2004 Hollowpoint expert down to the frame, shock, headset, seatpost and seatpost clamp (I already have many solid XT parts to put on it as well as a Mavic 317 wheelset and was thinking of a Talas or Vanilla up front). I also have a Thomson stem, Fizik Nisene saddle, time atac pedals.

But I'm curious to know whether or not I can get a hollowpoint in around the 27 pound or lighter range with what I've got.

It would be a huge help if you could post the year of your frame, it's size and some of the key components along with its weight if that wouldn't be too much trouble.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Mark
    My XS (15") Team weighs 28-29 lbs. I haven't weighed it recently, so I can't remember exactly. It's built up with:

'03 Talas RLC fork
    Fox Float AVA RL shock
    King/Mavic 517/DT comp wheels
    Panaracer Smoke/Ritchey Z-Max Millenium WCS tires, about 600gr each,
    Yes-Tubes
    Kore skewers
    '03 XTR crank/BB
    Avid Mech discs
    Avid Ultimate levers
    Sram 9.0 shorty shifters and rear der
    XT front der
    SRAM chain (PC-99?)
    FSA carbon flat bar
    Sette stem (about 125-130 gr)
    Thomson seatpost, 330mm
    Terry Fly saddle
    Time ATAC carbon pedals - old style
    Salsa seatpost QR
    ODI Rogue Lock-on grips
    Carbon bar ends

I could shave more weight off of it with lighter tires, Eggbeater pedals, or even the newer ATAC XS, lighter brakes, lighter grips and maybe a carbon seatpost, but the stuff I've got is working like a charm, and the weight just isn't holding me back. I can climb the same stuff with this bike as I can on my 25 lb RacerX. And I'm a wimp. ;^)

Kathy
    Last edited by Lucky; 12-02-2004 at 02:03 PM. Reason: forgot the shock
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    Thanks Kathy - so in a sense the great pedaling characteristics of these bikes actually help negate some weight do they?

Is this your bike of choice over the RAcer X?

so in a sense the great pedaling characteristics of these bikes actually help negate some weight do they?
    Yes, I'd have to say this is true. For what it's worth, the components on both bikes are essentially the same, including tires, up until last month when I put some schwag goodies on the RacerX. They were 1.95's and didn't make sense to put on a 5" bike.

When I go out for a ride, it's a really tough choice between the Hollowpoint and the RacerX. Each has its own merits. Such a nice problem to have! The handling on the RacerX is a bit lighter and quicker, so tight spots are a little easier to negotiate. The Hollowpoint does alright in tight twisty stuff, but requires a little more steering input. The flip side is that it's a bit more stable on the downhills and in rough stuff. The more technical a ride I'm going on, the more likely it is that I'll grab the Hollowpoint. It was definitely the bike of choice for the Moab vacation I took in late October. I've done Moab twice on the RacerX, and really appreciated the extra plushness when riding all day, every day, for a week. On the other hand, the Titus was great for doing the Maah Daah Hey trail out in North Dakota, because the trail is fast and buff. I think I saw 3 rocks in 3 days. No need for great gobs of travel (I'm not using the two position link plates on my Hollowpoint).

If I were only able to keep one for some reason, I'd lean toward the Hollowpoint, simply because it can do everything the RacerX can do, and then some.

Kathy :^)

mtbr member
    Thank you Kathy for that write-up - very informative and helpful!

Do you ride primarily on the east coast? Do you race at all?

Cheers,

Mark

Thank you Kathy for that write-up - very informative and helpful!

Do you ride primarily on the east coast? Do you race at all?

Cheers,

Mark
    I live and ride in NY/CT/NJ for the most part, and occasionally elsewhere in New England. I usually take 1 or 2 mtbike vacations out west somewhere every year. I raced a little a few years ago, and managed to consistently place in the middle of the pack in women's sport class. Racing's a lot of work, though, and I've decided I'd rather just ride for fun. I did one race last year, but it's a local, low-key night race that's a real hoot.

Glad I could help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    I live and ride in NY/CT/NJ for the most part, and occasionally elsewhere in New England. I usually take 1 or 2 mtbike vacations out west somewhere every year. I raced a little a few years ago, and managed to consistently place in the middle of the pack in women's sport class. Racing's a lot of work, though, and I've decided I'd rather just ride for fun. I did one race last year, but it's a local, low-key night race that's a real hoot.

Glad I could help.

Kathy - I'm assuming you ride in and around the Danbury area or down near the Fairfield county area - if you ever get the urge to try some trails deeper into CT let me know. We ride a lot up here in the Greater Hartford area and also down in Chester, CT etc. etc.

Cheers,

Mark

Kathy - I'm assuming you ride in and around the Danbury area or down near the Fairfield county area - if you ever get the urge to try some trails deeper into CT let me know. We ride a lot up here in the Greater Hartford area and also down in Chester, CT etc. etc.

Cheers,

Mark
    Thanks. I used to live in New Fairfield and ride in Huntington, Trumbull and Bethel Reservoir a lot. I haven't been to any of them in the last couple years, partly due to moving further west, but more because of an injury. A long, ling time ago, I used to ride at the Hartford Reservoir. Are the trails still open to bikes there?

Kathy

Gringo
    Just assembled my new Expert RL, and it weighs in at 29 lbs. I'll put it on a scale at my LBS next week.

G.