Plasko

Yet another 6point questions v. steer tube

Hello, IronHorse board! After breaking a high-end boutique frame, I have decided to build a 6point for my next ride. A question that I can't seem to find an answer for has to do with steerer length.

On a large 6point frame, what is the shortest steerer length that will work with this frame? I found a fork that I would like to purchase for the build, but I'm unsure if the steerer is long enough for the frame. If this question has been answered before, feel free to guide me to the proper place

I will also be starting a build thread for this bike, since its the first ground-up that I've done

GAME ON!
    should be around 6.5"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by generic602
    Hello, IronHorse board! After breaking a high-end boutique frame, I have decided to build a 6point for my next ride. A question that I can't seem to find an answer for has to do with steerer length.

On a large 6point frame, what is the shortest steerer length that will work with this frame? I found a fork that I would like to purchase for the build, but I'm unsure if the steerer is long enough for the frame. If this question has been answered before, feel free to guide me to the proper place

I will also be starting a build thread for this bike, since its the first ground-up that I've done
    Nice. What inspired you to go this route instead of getting a repair/replacement?

Also note that steerer tube length is contingent upon the:
    Head tube length
    Headset stack height
    Stem stack height

So, if your steerer is a bit too short, there is always the prospect of running a lower-stack HS or stem to correct it.

Looks like you will be building up a new rear and getting a wider crankset too...

Plasko
    Thanks Saturnine!

CharacterZero - I looked at the cost of repairing an aged & well-ridden frame with the cost of a blow-out 6point, and it seemed like a no-brainer. In AZ, frames get beaten up pretty good because of the local terrain, so I figure that the rest of my old frame was probably about used up anyway (2005 model bike)

Even considering the crankset/rear axle differences, it still seemed to make more sense. Plus, the 6point is just a burlier bike than my old frame all-around.

I've already got the crankset taken care of (burly 3-piece setup) and I had a wheelset built locally (Mavic 823's with Hadley titanium rear hub). I have a Lyrik fork, but I need different uppers for the 6point's sizing, hence the question.

The rest of the parts I already have from the last bike, or intended to upgrade anyway. All-in-all, I'm pretty happy with my purchase thus far

GAME ON!
    what size steerer are you looking at?

Plasko
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    what size steerer are you looking at?
    7-7.5". I just measured out my head tube with the headset in place, and this seems like it would work great.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Saturnine!

CharacterZero - I looked at the cost of repairing an aged & well-ridden frame with the cost of a blow-out 6point, and it seemed like a no-brainer. In AZ, frames get beaten up pretty good because of the local terrain, so I figure that the rest of my old frame was probably about used up anyway (2005 model bike)

Even considering the crankset/rear axle differences, it still seemed to make more sense. Plus, the 6point is just a burlier bike than my old frame all-around.

I've already got the crankset taken care of (burly 3-piece setup) and I had a wheelset built locally (Mavic 823's with Hadley titanium rear hub). I have a Lyrik fork, but I need different uppers for the 6point's sizing, hence the question.

The rest of the parts I already have from the last bike, or intended to upgrade anyway. All-in-all, I'm pretty happy with my purchase thus far
    Right on man, sounds like a solid move! I wasn't questioning it at all - on all accounts, the 6" dw is a good bike. Wheels sound nice...I need to move that way myself.

GAME ON!
    7-7.5". I just measured out my head tube with the headset in place, and this seems like it would work great.
    more than enough. the zero stack headset gives you a lot more room to work with. my mkiii had a 7.5" steerer and my current bike has a 6 5/8" steerer with a regular headset. i know it is different across the board, but IH doesn't have huge headtubes and they all use zero stack headsets.

Plasko
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Right on man, sounds like a solid move! I wasn't questioning it at all - on all accounts, the 6" dw is a good bike. Wheels sound nice...I need to move that way myself.
    I know you weren't questioning me, no worries

The wheelset was a pretty big decision because of the expense, but I got tired of dealing with the reliability issues of my old crossmax's. The funny thing is that the shop was in the middle of building this new wheelset for my old bike when the frame snapped, and I was lucky that they hadn't laced the rear wheel yet, so the shop just let me exchange the 135mm rear for a 150mm.

Satrunine - that's really good to know, it definitely comforts me on my decision