mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Yakuza Ojiki Question/ Randall Scott Rant..

So 35 minutes after putting the Ojiki together the chain snaps while my 13 year old son is riding through town, he had jumped the bike off a few sidewalks and ledges, nothing more than 8 to 12 inches, and nothing that should of broke the chain ?? It didn't actually break going off anything, it broke pedaling up a very mild incline, maybe 20 degree incline, he wasn't shifting or abusing the bike at all.. we were on pavement, just breaking the thing in.

We've been riding Mnt. Bikes for more than 1 year now, and never broke a chain, I realize it happens, but geewiz.. If anyone can tell me a possible logical reason I would like to know to prevent it in the future. I'm about to go bike to Dirt Bikes as this is getting more expensive.

mtbr member
    chains break. it happens. when i switched one of my bikes from 8 sp to 9 sp drivetrain, the new chain broke 5 minutes into the first ride. the second chain has about 4 months and many many miles on it with no issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Chains.

So, should I replace the entire chain, or just repair the one that snapped ? It looks like the link just pulled apart.. maybe one of the rivets wasn't pressed in just right from the factory? Is it just a cheap chain that needs replaced or can I get away with repairing it ? On jenson website, all the chains seem to be in the same price range?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Cross-chaining or Shifting under Load

You *may* have encountered a chain with a weak link.

Or, your son may have been cross-chaining.

No shifting under load either.

You will probably be OK with an inexpensive chain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Chain

Not familiar with "cross chaining" but he knows not to shift under load. We were pedaling up a easy sidewalk incline.. not steep at all.. it just snapped. Maybe the chain hadn't "seated" in yet.. I don't know.. But I was very surprised to see a new bike with a snapped chain.. makes me reluctant to head out in the mountains without a pack of tools.. which I don't like to carry. I do carry spare tube, pump, etc, now I guess a chain tool as well... shew...

_
    ...you talked about the "link" pulling apart? If that's the case... I've had that happen to me. if it's a sram chain with the power link. the one where you can just pinch it to get it on and off.

the fine print is... well i guess it's not fine print. it says right on the package. that the links are one time use only. what happens when you use them more than once is they loosen up and have a tendancy to pop off at inconvenient times. So possibly if the chain has been taken off a few times, it could be "compromised." that or the link wasn't actually engaged all the way.

...again though, this only applies if you have a chain with the powerlink in it.

_
    ...oh by the way. don't give up on mtb to go to dirt bikes. mountain biking... it's much more intimate.

also. chain problems happen. esp if you're doing any kind of aggressive riding. it's really not a bad idea to carry a chain tool with you. theyre not that heavy.