Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

yakuza bakuto fan club

10K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  tacubaya 
#1 ·
i ride one,its awesome!!

anyone else post pics if you've kitted it out!

#27 ·
Its a Chimpira but whatever... its the same frame

Upgrades done so far:
New front rim: Mavic Ex 729 with Quando 20mm hub (not in photo)
New fork: Marzocchi 66 SL 2006
New RD: Shimano XT
Avid BB7 Brakes with 8" rotors
Maxxis Minion DHF tire
Wellgo DH Pedals
Blackspire Stinger chainguide (not in photo)
Avid SD5 brake levers (not in photo)
Sram TRX shifters (not in photo)
Oury lock on grips (not in photo)

#28 ·
willmh said:
Hi, I'm looking to get the Bakuta really soon. I want to ride this as more of an all mountain bike, my main buying guidelines:
-slay singletrack
-sturdy (hold up to a 6'1, 185 lb rider taking it off some launchers)
-hardtail

How well does this bike perform for A.M.? Climbing?

Also, are the upgrades from 05 to 06 critical? (worth paying an extra $300)
I know they changed the fork from a splice to a Marzocchi DropOff. Big deal?

Thanks y'all, hopefully I'll get some pictures of me with my bakuto taking on porcupine rim soon.
I'm 6'3", 210 geared up and I'm sure it's sturdy enough. It sure climbs well for such a heavy bike too. Slaying singletrack is what this bike is made for (see dw's post earlier in thread). $300 difference? Where are you looking?:

-05 at bicycleblowout for $550 shipped http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID4038...tain-Bikes/Iron-Horse-Yakuza-Bakuto-2005.aspx

-06 at Randall Scott for $600 (shipping not included) http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8090/.f?sc=7&category=56

This spec list on the 06 makes it a better buy, namely the fork, brakes, and transmission:
-Marzocchi Dropoff III Suspension Fork w/ 150mm Travel & Thru Axle
-SRAM X.7 trigger shifters w/ SRAM X.7 Rear Derailleur
-Truvativ Ruktion Cranks w/ Howitzer Bottom Bracket
-Truvativ Hussefelt Riser Handlebar & Stem
-Avid BB-5 Mechanical Disc Brakes

EDIT: I personally want as much squish as possible coming down Porkies...this wouldn't be my first choice for that ride, but whatever floats your boat.

#29 ·
Thanks for the info--
I was looking between a new 05 on ebay for about $450 and one at performance bike for $750. Thanks for your listing on RS too.
I agree that the spec list on the 06 is mostly better, but the Travativ Ruktion cranks got terrible reviews, worse than the cranks on the 05 bakuto. The main boost is the fork, which I plan on upgrading immediately anyway (too a sweet Marzocchi 66 probably)
Right now I'm leaning towards that 05 model and upgrading the forks right away
your ride looks pretty sweet, did you start with the 05 or 06?

**lol, yeah I already took on porcupine rim on a trek hardtail rental and the downhill rock gardens beat the crap out of me :) But I love the singletrack portion of that ride.

#31 ·
willmh said:
Thanks for the info--
I was looking between a new 05 on ebay for about $450 and one at performance bike for $750. Thanks for your listing on RS too.
I agree that the spec list on the 06 is mostly better, but the Travativ Ruktion cranks got terrible reviews, worse than the cranks on the 05 bakuto. The main boost is the fork, which I plan on upgrading immediately anyway (too a sweet Marzocchi 66 probably)
Right now I'm leaning towards that 05 model and upgrading the forks right away
your ride looks pretty sweet, did you start with the 05 or 06?

**lol, yeah I already took on porcupine rim on a trek hardtail rental and the downhill rock gardens beat the crap out of me :) But I love the singletrack portion of that ride.
You could probably take the Marz fork off the 06 and sell it brand new on ebay and get more than I did for the Splice on ebay. Mine's an 05. Will be descending Porc Rim in about 2 weeks :thumbsup:

#37 ·
hello everyone. i bought a 95 Iron Horse Yakuza Bakuto from http://www.thebicycleoutlet.com/. i bought it without knowing anything about the bike but i checked the reviews on it and it had about a 4.5 out of 5 and the price was cheap, i got a huge discount. i paid 430 with shipping and i called the company and they told me it was the last one. after a few more questions i told him that i would but it. i think i got a 17 in. i am 6"1 280. i hope i got the right size but i had been riding a friends trek 4900 18" and it didnt seem too small. so the guy explained to me a bunch of things and said the size would be ok. i only had regular mountain bikes before. i have done some bikepacking in argentina and uruguay and i left my bike there. and i am hoping that when some family member comes visit me they will bring me my baby. im am not an elitist. i do not want the best of the best. i just want it to be strong and hold my weight. on my zenith bike, i put a noleen crosslink on it that worked great for my weight. i did a lot of riding on dirt with it, hit a lot of stuff and it worked great. and on the road it was like a non suspended shock. i will be using the yakuza as a commuter mostly but i go to go on some dirt trails with bumps and maybe small jumps. but nothing huge. i hope that by mid fall i would have lost a lot of weight and i will start to do some riskier stuff. i didnt want a bike to replace my zenith, i wanted something that can handle some harsher offroad stuff. i hope i bought the right bike. please let me know what u think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.