Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Huckin' trails

Yakuza Aniki rear spacing

Hi, thought I'll share my experience here about the funky rear wheel spacing on my 2006 Yakuza Aniki.

Bike came stock with a rear 135x10 quick-release hub. Always had a PITA installing and removing the wheel because I had to compress the drop-outs a lot.

After changing out for a solid axle, I measure the frame and find out the rear spacing between drop-outs was in fact 142mm. So I re-space my hub and now I have a nice 142x10 solid axle rear end which is much stiffer and lot easier to work with. I guess this was made to allow some kind of compatibility for 142x12 rear spacing along other IH frame that used the same rear swing arm or something along this ?

Or could I weld on some adapters and turn my frame into a 142x10, but using the QR system of a 142x12mm hub, not making the frame 142x12, but using 10mm axle instead. That would be awesome ! But I guess you would have a hard time welding something solid on aluminum drop-outs and figure out a way to make it work...

Well. A few pics. Hope this helps other people in the same situation

Edit : Pics to come soon
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Hey thanks for sharing,

i just bought a used 08 yakuza aniki mine is exactly at 135mm.

i think the look of 06 is different from 08. but if its 135mm drop out, if should be 135mm, i had another bike that was supposed to be 135 but its 139. because it was bent
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

Huckin' trails
    Here's some pics of mine.

The 2008 might be different from the 2005 to 2007 models.

Mine came out right at 142mm inside the drop-outs. I didn't heard about any other Yakuza Aniki bikes with different spacing yet so mine might also just be a knock-off or is same as everyone else. Any feedback would help here.

I also converted to a single ring crank, so I took advantage of the wide spacing to get my rear chainline pin point on 50mm. Well, I basically just added 7mm worth of washers on the left side. Now I'll have to true the wheel back into dish to get this done well. Another issue I had was the caliper position. Now that the rotor is far more inboard, I had to space the adaptor a few mm's out and I don't have much threads to hold it in place. I'm gonna get longer screws asap before I get into trouble... I could also simply space out the rotor, but I didn't feel like it was the best solution right now.. I already have trouble keeping everything straight with that shitty caliper so I'll cure the problem to the right place.

I managed to find two 2.5mm washers and a 2mm lock washer that I pried open to make it flat. Fit nice and tight, like a glove.

Double washers and M10x1 nut to keep it all in place.

Here's some pics I took with the flash on a dusty bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yakuza Aniki rear spacing-dscn0100_web.jpg  

Yakuza Aniki rear spacing-dscn0111_web.jpg  

Yakuza Aniki rear spacing-dscn0104_web.jpg  

Yakuza Aniki rear spacing-dscn0113_web.jpg  

Yakuza Aniki rear spacing-dscn0114_web.jpg  

Yakuza Aniki rear spacing-dscn0106_web.jpg  

Yakuza Aniki rear spacing-dscn0054_web.jpg  

topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails
    And did they even made a Yakuza Aniki for 2008 ?

mtbr member
    on my frame it says 2008 and other bunch of stuffs painted in some text from factory. i searched for a long time before i bought it. nothing 2008 came up. iron horse website doesnt have achieve like specialized so i guess there is really no way to comfirm

i dont worry too much about chain line. how is your rotor and caliper clearance?
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

Huckin' trails
    My caliper is alright I guess. I just have to space out the adaptor and it's ok.

Yours might be a 2007 model build up in 2008... Like mine is a 2006, but was build up in 2007 for a special order. Don't really matter though.

Mine just really came out as a 142 rear spacing. Not bent or twisted. Funny

mtbr member
    yeah, as long as everything works properly , nothing matters.

BTW how does your bike weight. my bare frame weights 8.4 lbs with stock fox vanilla r shock. nothing else.

i guess when i strip the paint the frame would lose about half lb. its still very heavy compare to my previouse DJs.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

Huckin' trails
    I never weight the frame alone, but fully build as of last fall it was 40.25 pounds. I might have dropped under 40 with a few mods but I'll try to weight it down today and see. I'm using the stock X-Fusion Glyde RL coil over shock.

mtbr member
    man, my finish build would probably weight more than you, i will put some heavy freeride rims on mine. still be running low end 1 x 8 sp cassette and chain.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

Huckin' trails
    Ahah, yeah, mine has the stock wheels with no name front 20mm disc hub and rear (now a Deore 142x10mm solid) disc hub. Both running the stock WTB Double Duty FR rims. And I had a 22-32-bash with 8 speed cassette stock. Now I went to 32-bash with a 8 speed cassette. Kept the fd as a chain guide meanwhile but removed the fd spring, fd cable/housing and shifter.

Climbing is gonna suck no matter what anyways

mtbr member
    yeah, i think 8 gears is enough for me tho. haha. like you said climbing always suck no matter how many speed you have . later man.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

Huckin' trails
    I'd like to upgrade to 9 spd to be able to run X9 shifters.... Just saw a set of X9 for $60 new on Chainlove... Awww. Need more money. Cause I'll need a new chain and cassette too. I'll wait till my new X4 crap out and then make the move.

Huckin' trails
    Btw, if you have a BB7 caliper with pads for sale, let me know... Already have the adaptors and bolts, just need the caliper. Thanks

mtbr member
    i do have a lot of them, but they are all in pairs. i also left one for my current build. im debating if i should try out some decent hydraulics. if i do decide to go with hydros , i will MSG you . it wont cost you an arm or leg.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

Huckin' trails
    Thanks, that's appreciate

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    i do have a lot of them, but they are all in pairs. i also left one for my current build. im debating if i should try out some decent hydraulics. if i do decide to go with hydros , i will MSG you . it wont cost you an arm or leg.
    Check your PM.

mtbr member
    hey you know whats the headtube angle on the stock aniki. or a place i can get the owner manual?
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

Huckin' trails
    Not in the slightest. In fact I've been interested into both since I bought the bike, but never heard about them yet.

I don't find the HA to be very slack with a 150mm fork... But I know it can easily take a dual-crown like a Drop-Off Triple. I was even thinking about getting an angle-set to make the steep technical sections more friendly.

mtbr member
    cool. thats good to hear. i will be running a sherman 130-170mm fork. so i got a lil bit adjustability there.

btw the way i just weighted my small aniki frame. weights 7lb 1.7 oz without the pivot bolts. 8lb 14.7 oz with stock vanilla R shock and all the bolts
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

Huckin' trails
    Gosh, that's something. Mine is a 17", medium I guess, but never weighted the frame alone. I'll install a new rear tire (lighter) and chainring bolts and spacers and let you know how much it weights after.

banned
    Nov 2011
    I have the '06 Aniki (straight top tube, not curved), and it is a 135mm rear spacing. Yes, they did make the Aniki in '08. I believe that was the last year of production if I am correct.

The Aniki is an awesome FR bike, but I retired mine for a SC Bullit. Well, retired it for a short bit anyways...LOL. Maybe someone else will build it up if i do not again...LOL

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Gosh, that's something. Mine is a 17", medium I guess, but never weighted the frame alone. I'll install a new rear tire (lighter) and chainring bolts and spacers and let you know how much it weights after.
    Yeah, 17" is a medium frame. That is the frame size for my Yakuza Aniki, Kumicho, and Gashira I have.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    hey you know whats the headtube angle on the stock aniki. or a place i can get the owner manual?
    It has a 68 degree headtube angle, whereas the Kumicho has a 63 to 64 degree angle

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai-CP View Post
    It has a 68 degree headtube angle, whereas the Kumicho has a 63 to 64 degree angle
    68 ? Doesn't feel like it much. Is this for a 150mm fork ? How it gets with a 203 ?

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    68 ? Doesn't feel like it much. Is this for a 150mm fork ? How it gets with a 203 ?
    I had a 160 travel fork on mine and it was raking at 68, 69 with a 150 degrees. Never had a 203 on it though, just on my Kumicho. I run a 180 on my SC Bullit which has the same geo as my '06 Aniki which also has 7" rear travel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast