Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Why won't IH build "my" ideal MKIII?

4K views 53 replies 25 participants last post by  Pslide 
#1 ·
Not complaining, merely dreaming...

So I think the 07 6Point is too burly for my xc/trail needs, and the 07 MKIII won't be that much of an improvement over what it is now from what I've read.

I'd like a 6 inch travel MKIII with that 68 or 69 d HA that accepts a 135mm rear quick release, weighs no more than 7 pounds for frame/rear shock (19"), and takes a 1 1/8 fork (Rock Shox Lyric, of course).

Right now, with sag, I have about 100mm rear travel left, give or take (I run 30% sag), and about 110mm on my Pike 454. That's not enough. The Ibis (carbon/$$$) is 5.5 so why can't IH make a 5.5 inch version? And I'm not one to say "but when is enough enough?" Again, not complaining. Sooooo... why not a longer travel MKIII or something in between it and the bigger 6Point?

#52 ·
harky said:
What kind of tires/wheels are you running??
FWIW...My 06 MKIII expert came with 2.25 Panaracer Cinders and DTswiss wheels.
I changed out the Cinders for lighter 2.1 Fire XC Pro's for better cornering and lower rollong resistance and noticed an inprovement in acceleration (lower spinning weight?). I ultimately swapped the DT Swiss for Mavic CrossMax's from another bike for better durability but didn't notice a big change in quickness...
My 06 MKIII expert also came with 2.25 Panaracer Cinders. Liking them for DH though. I had ran even bigger tires 2.35s on the last MB but the Cinders work as well if not better. Would hate to swap them out for the XC part of the ride. Also before buying the MKIII test rode a Yeti 575 which was noticeably doggy even on the road. The LBS selling it said that the external crank bearings would break in and the resistance would diminish. Do you know if there is any truth to that and if so would that apply? I have had the MKIII for about two weeks riding 5-6 times a week as usual. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.