Fragile - must be Italian

What's with the Rogue?

I saw a listing on Supergo for an '04 Iron Horse Rogue for only $650. It seems to be a great deal considering the parts spec.

But when I went to the Iron Horse website to get more information, there is no such thing as the Rogue.

So what's the deal with the Rogue? Is this a bike made just for Supergo? Does IH sell it elsewhere under a different name?

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    I saw a listing on Supergo for an '04 Iron Horse Rogue for only $650. It seems to be a great deal considering the parts spec.

But when I went to the Iron Horse website to get more information, there is no such thing as the Rogue.

So what's the deal with the Rogue? Is this a bike made just for Supergo? Does IH sell it elsewhere under a different name?

Thx...Doug
    Was wondering the same myself. Anyone?

Industry Loudmouth

The Rogue was a special model this year. It is available through Supergo as well as through the Iron Horse distributors in Israel and Australia.

-ska todd

Fragile - must be Italian

?? Still confused

Quote Originally Posted by ska todd
    The Rogue was a special model this year. It is available through Supergo as well as through the Iron Horse distributors in Israel and Australia.

-ska todd
    Is there a reason this bike isn't on the Iron Horse website? Is the frame the same as the Warrior? And what makes it "special"? Is it some reject from Taiwan that nobody else wanted?

Thx...Doug

Industry Loudmouth
    Is there a reason this bike isn't on the Iron Horse website? Is the frame the same as the Warrior? And what makes it "special"? Is it some reject from Taiwan that nobody else wanted?

Thx...Doug
    The bike is not on the site because it is not a standard "in line" item and not available to all IH dealers. It is by no means a reject. The frame is the same as the Warrior series but with higher end components. A couple of distributors requested a highend hardtail for their regions. We added the Rogue to meet this demand. Supergo liked the bike and purchased some. All in all, it's a great hardtail for the entry level rider or rider looking for a 2nd bike for training or backup.

-ska todd

mtbr member

I bought one...

I bought a 19.5" Rogue from Supergo about two months ago and I have about five long rides on it and I absolutely love it. Not the bike for someone who's interested in spec'ing a bike to the Nth degree (and the Xth gram) but I'm convinced you CANNOT buy a better bike for the money. And it's in the latest Supergo catalog for $599!

I was looking for cost-effectiveness (I've also got a race car to support) in getting back into MTBing after a few busy years off (twin kids). I like technical, and some bordering-on-agressive XC rides (usually fireroads or doubletrack up and the more rocks and roots on the way down, the better) and this bike feels great on everything I've ridden it on so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The Rogue is on the ironhorse website (ironhorsebikes.com). You can find it in the 2003 catalogue which is available in pdf format. There are no 2004 Rogues to the best of my knowledge. It seems Ironhorse has simply renamed the bike the Warrior Expert. I have a 2003 Rogue that I picked up as 2003 leftover stock earlier this year. It's a phenominal bike, especially for the money.
    -JR

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

What's With the Rogue...

But, here is a link to a 2004 Rogue at Supergo: http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?L...604&referpage=

And a link to the Warrior Expert at Iron Horse: http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/products/intermediate/

At least locally (Seattle area), the Warrior Expert is on sale at Performance for $520. The local Supergo shop has the Rogue for $629.

I have the Warrior Expert on layaway at Performance while I decide if the Rogue is worth the extra $$.

Key differences: Rogue vs Warrior Expert - XT rear derailleur vs LX, hydraulic brakes vs mechanical, and Rock Shox Judy SL vs Marzocchi EXR Pro Air.

I'm just getting back in to Mt biking and am not that familiar with these components. The main difference I'm considering is the brakes. I've heard that hydraulic is a fair bit better. And I don't know the ins and outs of front shocks to know if there is much difference between them.

And I'm a member of Performance's club, so I get 10% back to buy other gear with.

I'm leaning towards the Warrior Expert, but any advice, suggestions, etc are greatly appreciated.

(This is my first post, so please forgive any goofs. :-) )

Thanks
    Last edited by MtSpaz; 07-08-2004 at 10:30 PM. Reason: clean up some text

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtSpaz
    Key differences: Rogue vs Warrior Expert - XT rear derailleur vs LX, hydraulic brakes vs mechanical, and Rock Shox Judy SL vs Marzocchi EXR Pro Air.

I'm just getting back in to Mt biking and am not that familiar with these components. The main difference I'm considering is the brakes. I've heard that hydraulic is a fair bit better. And I don't know the ins and outs of front shocks to know if there is much difference between them.

And I'm a member of Performance's club, so I get 10% back to buy other gear with.

I'm leaning towards the Warrior Expert, but any advice, suggestions, etc are greatly appreciated.

(This is my first post, so please forgive any goofs. :-) )

Thanks
    What type of riding do you do? As a Rogue owner and XC (cross-country) rider in Southern California, I find myself typically climbing fireroads and taking technical, moderate to slow speed, and sometimes steep singletrack back down. I am VERY glad to have the hydraulic disc brakes. I've "blued" the rotors with heat and can smell the brake pads a-cookin' on a few occasions! I weigh about 160 pounds so there's no clydesdale factor.

I don't know the difference between the two forks, maybe someone else here can shed more light. The Judy SL on my bike gets the job done but it's certainly not "plush". And looking at the telltale dust marks, I've been suprised at just how far I've exercised it on rides!

I think the XT vs. LX rear derailleur is not a big issue, maybe a little weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm 6' tall about 200lbs (hoping to get back to 190-185 by getting back in to cycling).

I haven't established a pattern yet, but definitely no radical downhill or major drops; probably mostly moderate XC riding with some road riding just for fitness work. Itís pretty hilly around here, so I can just go down the roads here for 8-10 miles and get a pretty good workout.

As I get back in shape the riding may become a bit more hard core, but still nothing too extreme.

Iím sure that the Warrior Expert will fit the bill, but I only do this once in a great while and if I can get significant improvement for $100 Iíd definitely consider it.

In your case, is the main benefit having disc brakes, or does them being hydraulic make a difference in what you described?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtSpaz
    I'm 6' tall about 200lbs (hoping to get back to 190-185 by getting back in to cycling).

Iím sure that the Warrior Expert will fit the bill, but I only do this once in a great while and if I can get significant improvement for $100 Iíd definitely consider it.

In your case, is the main benefit having disc brakes, or does them being hydraulic make a difference in what you described?
    I'm also 6' tall with longer than average limbs and the 19.5" frame fits me well but I did swap the stock 100mm stem with a 120mm/7deg one which is working nicely for me.

The main benefit is disc brakes. Hydraulic is nice because there is no cable flex nor cable resistance. In a dusty area like mine, I like the fact that hydros are sealed systems with no exposed moving parts - probably a good thing in a wet climate, too. Dual piston calipers are a good thing, as hydraulic pressure insures even braking from both pads. The brakes just plain Work Right, the levers move effortlessly to their contact point and hardly move any further from that point due to the lack of flex - everything is simply braking pressure from that point, no flexing, no bottoming out of the lever on a hard stop. I've not ridden mech discs before but my experience with rim brakes tells me that cable flex and resistance are bad and get worse with age (crud/rust in the housings, etc).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Well, Supergo seems to be out of the Rogue...

I called today to see what sizes they had for me to try and they said that they were all gone and not much hope of seeing more & the ones they had sold very well.

The sales guy I talked to said that the Iron Horse Warrior Expert 'looks promising'. He said they'll carry it for $599, which was the catalog price for the Rogue. I guess I'll pick mine up from Performance tomorrow for $520 with 10% back.

I'll just upgrade to hydraulic brakes if it becomes that much of an issue.

Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hey! There is a 2004 rogue, with lx rear and manitou axel elite front fork. It was available at sportchek in my city but now their all sold out