mtbr member
    May 2004

What is a "zero stack headset"

Hey Everybody,

Forgive the rookie question, but what is a "zero stack headset?" I've just discovered the Hollowpoint RL Expert and am thinking about replacing my HT with it. Just curious about the headset. Thanks...

Brent

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder
    Hey Everybody,

Forgive the rookie question, but what is a "zero stack headset?" I've just discovered the Hollowpoint RL Expert and am thinking about replacing my HT with it. Just curious about the headset. Thanks...
    Basically, take your standard bicycle head tube, and oversize it.

Then, take your standard threadless headset cups, and make them so the whole cup fits inside of the headtube, instead of on top of it like a standard threadless.

Now the bearings sit *inside* the head tube, the cups are for the most part hidden from view, and the designer has a much greater surface to weld oversized tubes to to make a stronger junctiong.

Take a look at this website for pictures and descriptions:

http://www.chrisking.com/tech/int_he...explain_5.html

Whatever you do, don't confuse Zero Stack (also known as Semi-Integrated or Internal) with the somewhat unpopular INTEGRATED headset, which involves non-replaceable bearing cups machined into the head tube. Zero Stack uses replaceable cups and is a superior choice.

Industry Loudmouth
    Natedawg essentially hit it on the head here. The zerostack standard has been around for a few years now. There are quite a few companies using it now (Iron Horse, Giant, Haro, Jamis, etc etc) and parts are pretty readily available. Since using zerostack we have virtually eliminated headtube ovalization on our bikes. We have even had some guys doing a lot of dirt jumping on zerostack frames with no issues.

Unless you are hung up on having a King HS on your bike I'd say you would have no problems at all with it.

-ska todd

mtbr member
    May 2004

no head set preference

Hey again,

Thanks for the responses, I'm not too worried about huge amounts of strength in the headset, I've been riding the same headset in my HT forever! without any problems ('98 Schwinn Moab 1). I can see from the RL Experet pic on the IH website what you're talking about as far as looks go, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder
    I've been riding the same headset in my HT forever! without any problems ('98 Schwinn Moab 1).
    Then switching to Zero Stack will be a step up, or step ahead.

The ICBM headset that your Schwinn uses is a close copy of the Integrated design, using cartridge bearings that drop directly into a machined head tube race. The big criticism of that type of design is that if you develop any slop in the bearing/head tube interface, the frame takes the damage and there aren't any repair options. I'm not sure I'd want it on a road bike let alone a mountain bike, but to be fair, I don't hear many Schwinn, Klein or Maverick owner complaining about problems (the latter two use the Integrated standard).

The Zero Stack are somewhat similar in appearance and assembly, except for the addition of the removable cups. The Zero Stack really is as good as any conventional threadless design, with the possible exception as Todd mentioned of there being no Chris King option until they decide to produce their Perdido.

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    The Zero Stack really is as good as any conventional threadless design, with the possible exception as Todd mentioned of there being no Chris King option until they decide to produce their Perdido.
    Unfortunately the Perdido is it's own seperate sizing standard from anything else. You'd have to have a frame custom made for it.

-ska todd

Quote Originally Posted by ska todd
    Unfortunately the Perdido is it's own seperate sizing standard from anything else. You'd have to have a frame custom made for it.

-ska todd
    That's actually a relief. At one point CK was talking about their own custom reamer to oversize Zero Stack head tubes the extra .5mm, but looking at the shallow and relatively thin head tubes on my NRS at the time, I didn't know how they were planning to pull it off with at least a few head tubes getting eaten through... if someone could find a shop that stocked that reamer.

So what's the latest on Perdido, anyway? Last I heard they were holding off production until they had an OE customer. Are we going to see any Chris King on the top-of-the-line IH bikes for '05?

Industry Loudmouth
    Are we going to see any Chris King on the top-of-the-line IH bikes for '05?
    Nope, absolutely no plan to use it.

-ska todd

May contain nuts

New question here.

Then switching to Zero Stack will be a step up, or step ahead.

The ICBM headset that your Schwinn uses is a close copy of the Integrated design, using cartridge bearings that drop directly into a machined head tube race. The big criticism of that type of design is that if you develop any slop in the bearing/head tube interface, the frame takes the damage and there aren't any repair options. I'm not sure I'd want it on a road bike let alone a mountain bike, but to be fair, I don't hear many Schwinn, Klein or Maverick owner complaining about problems (the latter two use the Integrated standard).

The Zero Stack are somewhat similar in appearance and assembly, except for the addition of the removable cups. The Zero Stack really is as good as any conventional threadless design, with the possible exception as Todd mentioned of there being no Chris King option until they decide to produce their Perdido.
    Here's my Homegrown ICBM headset, which uses steel cups pressed into the head tube. Not that different from ZS is it? Certainly not as you describe it Nate, with the bearings sitting in contact with a machined head tube...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Here's my Homegrown ICBM headset, which uses steel cups pressed into the head tube. Not that different from ZS is it? Certainly not as you describe it Nate, with the bearings sitting in contact with a machined head tube...
    That is a traditional style 1 1/8" headset. It is neither zerostack nor integrated.

-ska todd

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Here's my Homegrown ICBM headset, which uses steel cups pressed into the head tube. Not that different from ZS is it?
    Yeah, what Todd said! What year is that frameset?

Here's a picture of Zero Stack cups. Notice that only the slim flange sits above the head tube; everything else is internal and out of view.

May contain nuts

Ahhhh

It's a '99 HG Factory frame which I thought came with an "ICBM headset"...Kinda puzzled me when I read your description of ICBM. Thanks for putting me right.

(Nice to know the frame will live beyond the life of the headset...)