mtbr member
    Apr 2009

What year is my DH Yakusa Kumicho frame ?

So I'm thinking of buying what is supposed to be a used '06 Yakusa Kumicho bike. Need a little help from you IH experts.

the frame has serial 04L00xxxx, is red, has the "Champion 2003 jr World downhill" sticker on the back, has the mount hole for the floating disk (original owner took it off and put a regular hayes 9 brake). No IS mount for bash guard. I assume came with 5th elements shock (front fork is new '10).

So what year do you think it is ?

2) is the 5th element shock any good ? seems like this was a hot item 4-5 years ago but I'm not sure if parts are available (or seals the only thing you need to service anyway) and who can service or rebuild them for cheap.
    I took the spring off, and let the air out and the shaft goes back and forth rather rough - sticky I would say - I can hear oil moving, but it s a lot of initial inertia if you will.

Are replacement shock widely available otherwise ?

3) anything to watch out of those frames ? Where woudl cracks be (not like the know issue of MKIII which I owner I suppose

rear has 150mm wheel with a cone offset on the non drive side. I read the frame is larger and just clamps down with 12mm maxle. Still getting some wiggles, and I made sure the pivot bolds were tight (they were not) so wondering if I need some more spacer...

2005 IH Yakuza Kumicho - Floating Brake ???'s

thanks for any info !

Edit: man this forum is dead... all the action is in DH/FR forum - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...53851#poststop
    Last edited by adumesny; 07-27-2010 at 11:39 PM.

ntj
    guidedbybicycles
    Sounds like an 05 - just got one myself. If it has a 9 x 2.75 shock it is for sure.

5ths aren't great but can be made to be by Craig at Avalanche Suspension. If you need a new shock search 230 x 70 in ebay and you'll find a bunch of Manitous. They can also be revalved by Avalanche, or you can by an Avalanche shock to suit it if you don't mind investing in that frame. I think there are some Fox shocks in that size but they aren't common.

The main pivot axle can be a problem. If the original wasn't replaced when the bike was new with factory updated ones, they're probably slightly too long. Just file a bit off - did this with mine and it's much less flexy now and hasn't come loose (use locktite on the bolts).

The cracks can develop in the rear triangle too - keep a look out for that.

Sounds like a long list of problems, but mine is still a good bike to ride and plenty were used as rentals at a downhill resort in Australia and they held up fine. Just use the correct spring and don't treat it as a hucker and you should be ok.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the reply, yes I figured it was an '05 after all (saw pictures of the red one with 05 stated),a dn I do have a 9x2.75" - but apparently even the 06 model had that longer shock (supposedly chanegd in 07) - read the HD thread I had started.

Funny I do have a longer pivot shaft - was wondering why there was a washer on one of the bolts, now I know! seems tight enough. I did have to add a washer spacer for the rear though as the 12mm axel was slightly too long too, and clamping down the rear too much - that made it nice and tight.

I'm currently using a Marzo Roco Air QC 9.5"x3" with more sag and that seems to work well for me. Still have the 5th in case I decide to send it for rebuild.

Happy with the bike for the price I paid, and entended use (park/shuttle bike - pedaling sure sucks)