Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    sb 66. no more dead spot when bunny hopping and stiffer rear triangle.

26 for life.
    Still waiting for my new bike, looks like Jan now.
    In the mean time, I through some new bearings at the old girl & she's riding like a dream again.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I ended up with a 2010 Marin Mount Vision frame. I got it for $650 shipped from Adrenaline Bikes. Built it up with all the parts from the MKIII, except for the front derailleur, seatpost shim, and seat collar.
    Never really got along with the Mt Vision, so after 9 months I sold it and bought the frame I've REALLY been wanting since it came out in 2009: Turner 5-Spot. The killer deals Turner has on the 2011 models coupled with an LBS that was hooking me up for a bunch of trail and advocacy work I've been doing made the price too good to pass up. I've got about 5 rides on it so far. I really like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did you replace your MKIII with?-5-spot.jpg  

15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    .. the frame I've REALLY been wanting since it came out in 2009: Turner 5-Spot.
    No what you really want is a carbon Ibis Mojo! ok not the same price range, but the 5-spot picture looks very basic build/cheap frame to me. Even the MKiii had asymmetrical tubing, and curved, where's your pic looks like very basic straight tubes welded, and pre-fab square tubes in the back cut and welded. Very basic by today's standard ALU frames.... but if it rides great, that's what matters!

I now have a Mojo HD with 160mm travel F/B and 2.4 tires and adjustable seat comes a hair above 29lbs for an XL. Amazing bike... All my buddies ride Specialized stumpjumpers (I think) which are good value, but I'm partial to DW suspensions now. Mojos can be found used for decent prices and the company stands behind it's products like no-one else even if you're not the original owner. I know a few that went from MKiii to mojo for that reason.

GAME ON!
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    No what you really want is a carbon Ibis Mojo! ok not the same price range, but the 5-spot picture looks very basic build/cheap frame to me. Even the MKiii had asymmetrical tubing, and curved, where's your pic looks like very basic straight tubes welded, and pre-fab square tubes in the back cut and welded. Very basic by today's standard ALU frames.... but if it rides great, that's what matters!

I now have a Mojo HD with 160mm travel F/B and 2.4 tires and adjustable seat comes a hair above 29lbs for an XL. Amazing bike... All my buddies ride Specialized stumpjumpers (I think) which are good value, but I'm partial to DW suspensions now. Mojos can be found used for decent prices and the company stands behind it's products like no-one else even if you're not the original owner. I know a few that went from MKiii to mojo for that reason.
    From your comments, I'm guessing you don't anything about the 5-Spot or Turner, do you?

BTW, the build was from my last bike, so it would look identical on the Mojo. Also, I have not often heard Flow rims, Hope hubs, a PUSHed fork, GD seatpost, Answer Protaper Carbon bar, speedplay pedals, and XT/X9 drivetrain referred to as "cheap" build.

GAME ON!
    mojos are ugly
    RIP Adam Yauch

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    mojos are ugly
    I love how he recommends the Ibis over the Turner and uses the DW-Link and good customer service as his reasons.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    mojos are ugly
    To each it's own... but the 5-spot build reminds me of the '05 IH I'm trying to sell - even my MKIII had nicer frame build IMO (now strength especially rear is another story .

And kapusta, yes I do know about turner - they have a great reputation, I just find the build look very 90' styles that's all... exposed welding, straight tubes.

GAME ON!
    exposed welding is so 90's
    RIP Adam Yauch

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    To each it's own... but the 5-spot build reminds me of the '05 IH I'm trying to sell - even my MKIII had nicer frame build IMO (now strength especially rear is another story .

And kapusta, yes I do know about turner - they have a great reputation, I just find the build look very 90' styles that's all... exposed welding, straight tubes.
    No, you really don't know much about it other than looking at my picture. You clearly don't know anything about the 5-spot, and have never checked one out in the flesh. FYI It DOES have asymmetric chain stays (though I don't understand why you thought that would have been a minus if it did not), and there is loads of CNC work all over the linkage and rear end. WAY more refined than the curved tubing on the MKIII.

Not sure what you mean by "build", if you are saying that your MKIII frame was a higher quality frame, you are on crack. There is no comparison, not even sort of close.

You talk about "pre-fab tubes welded together".... what else do you think every builder of a metal frame uses for tubing? AFAIK, Giant is the only bike company that makes tubing from ore. And yes, it is welded together.... how else would you assemble an aluminum frame like that? Lugged? Your comment was absurd on so many levels

FWIW I like the welds and straight tubes (if anything, I think the Mojos are a little goofy looking) but really, that's a pretty asinine way to choose a frame. The goofy looks of the Mojo would not affect my opinion of it.

Also, what did you mean by these frames not being in the same price range? They are pretty comparable in price.
    Last edited by kapusta; 02-29-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    exposed welding is so 90's
    I'll send the memo to Pivot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Turner Bikes - Turner 5.Spot Chassis

I look at the frame and see a lot of straight off the shelf tubing (I'm sure they are tapered) welded together with yes custom pieces, but the build looks very basic to me. Look at carbon frames and how fluid they are and 1 piece design with no weak joints. Even some manufacturers are making ALU frames that are fluid and appear seamless connected (specialized, Santa Cruz)

I'm just saying...

Whoa, you're right about the price: at $2500 frame it's actually more than carbon mojos as it doesn't include the upgraded Kashima FOX RP23, which they do at that price. And likely to be heavier than the 5-5.2lbs carbon frames complete, and ALU is bridle over time, not so for carbon, which is also stronger...

check this Santa Cruz crush test if you don't believe me.
    Santa Cruz Bicycles - Test Lab - Pinkbike.com

Anyway I'm done... enjoy your bike because that's what matters at the end...

26 for life.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

GAME ON!

I look at the frame and see a lot of straight off the shelf tubing (I'm sure they are tapered) welded together with yes custom pieces, but the build looks very basic to me. Look at carbon frames and how fluid they are and 1 piece design with no weak joints. Even some manufacturers are making ALU frames that are fluid and appear seamless connected (specialized, Santa Cruz)

I'm just saying...

Whoa, you're right about the price: at $2500 frame it's actually more than carbon mojos as it doesn't include the upgraded Kashima FOX RP23, which they do at that price. And likely to be heavier than the 5-5.2lbs carbon frames complete, and ALU is bridle over time, not so for carbon, which is also stronger...

neither of us paid $2500 for the frame, though i suppose you came close to that sum. anyway, my 26lb bike is different than your 26lb bike.
    RIP Adam Yauch

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

I'm just saying...

It is increasingly clear that you don't know much about frames other than what looks pretty to you.

When you see an AL bike without welds (like my Mt Vision), they've just filled them in. With welds as gorgeous as this, there is no need to hide them.

BTW, Aluminum Santa Cruz bikes have exposed welds.

I also question how much you understand about shocks, other than what fox is telling you. Turner is specing the RL because he feels it is actually a better shock for that bike. If you look past the shiny little bits being shaken in front of you, you might understand why, especially seeing as you ride a DW-Link bike. Look around these boards and you will find many that are not happy with the new boost valve shocks (which the RP3 is). Heck, the first thing PUSH does to those shocks is remove it altogether.

Anyway, I am not about to go into a debate on CF vs AL (they are both fine), or 5-Spot vs Mojo (again, both top notch bikes). What I am taking you to task for is not knowing what you are talking about in regards to the spot and frames in general, NOT whether or not the Mojo is a better bike frame. If you like your Mojo, then enjoy it. It is a sexy (to some), lightweight frame. Don't worry about Turners because there is no way that someone who is gram-obsessed, who gets swept up in the latest marketing gimmicks, and who cares whether his bike is properly curved and weld-free for the 2012 fashion/riding season , is going to understand the appeal.
    Last edited by kapusta; 03-01-2012 at 05:06 AM.

Dropshot Champ!
    hey saturnine, i thought you were on a specy? Hows the 5spot compare? I know you said you couldn't notice the difference when you swapped over, but can you now?

I won't get into the debate, but a few friends had to reTurner their turners. Took awhile to get ahold of them, but in the end they made it right! It was the taco joint or whatever its called, and a seat tube crack.

I put some time in on a 5spot...I liked it! I think push makes rockers for it right, or was that the pre dw ones?

I'm still going strong on my mojo. I've put close to 5k on it. Came with full x0, carbon bits galore, and industry nine wheels for cheaper than....anything frame-only I was looking at. I will say I like how ibis covers me for warranty stuff. I scored and love the bike!

After a replaced rear and now front tri, the mkiii still sits in the corner. It's got x9/x0 bits, a push'd rear and some nicer wheels. It's kinda the "loaner" bike and really got my gf into riding.

It's funny how we all started on the same bike, loved the **** out of it, alllll broke them, and then moved onto some seriously badass bikes. I'd be happy to own anything in this thread!

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    hey saturnine, i thought you were on a specy? Hows the 5spot compare? I know you said you couldn't notice the difference when you swapped over, but can you now?

I won't get into the debate, but a few friends had to reTurner their turners. Took awhile to get ahold of them, but in the end they made it right! It was the taco joint or whatever its called, and a seat tube crack.

I put some time in on a 5spot...I liked it! I think push makes rockers for it right, or was that the pre dw ones?

I'm still going strong on my mojo. I've put close to 5k on it. Came with full x0, carbon bits galore, and industry nine wheels for cheaper than....anything frame-only I was looking at. I will say I like how ibis covers me for warranty stuff. I scored and love the bike!

After a replaced rear and now front tri, the mkiii still sits in the corner. It's got x9/x0 bits, a push'd rear and some nicer wheels. It's kinda the "loaner" bike and really got my gf into riding.

It's funny how we all started on the same bike, loved the **** out of it, alllll broke them, and then moved onto some seriously badass bikes. I'd be happy to own anything in this thread!
    i was on an enduro for a little over a year. it was kind of a different beast than either of the dw bikes. i did everything on it but it was low, slack and aggressive. i would say at the time i didn't really notice a difference but i think that because i progressed so much as a rider over the year, my capabilities just worked with the bike. the differences i notice now are stiffness and traction.i do remember certain things from my mkii, though. it feels like i never left it now. however, my build is way different. i've lost probably 4-5lbs off the build and it just feels to me less capable. not that i have any doubts about what it can handle, rather that i wouldn't think twice about shuttling at the park with the enduro whereas the spot will not be a park bike. i'm not smooth or capable enough for it to bail me out.

the frame itself actually feels like a piece of art. every time i look at it i notice something new. it feels special. my enduro was just another bike. it was really only a placeholder until i could work a turner into my budget. i lusted after it since 2009. it was my dream bike. as you say, we all fell in love with the same bike and it let us all down.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Here is my ugly replacement bike w/ cheap components...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zerkmxl View Post
    Here is my ugly replacement bike w/ cheap components...
    Hey, it's not so bad. At least it does not have exposed welds.

mtbr member
    I still have my 2007 MKIII. Still runs like a champ. Granted various parts have been upgraded, replaced due to wear or breaks, etc. Weighs in at about 27lbs and change. I can't bring myself to replace it since other DW-Link bikes are $$$$$$$$

Dropshot Champ!
    they're cheaper than you might think, especially used.

mtbr member
    I subscribed to the "maybe I need a heavier duty bike with more travel or at least find a bike with much fatter chain stays theory"... and found a Scott Ransom carbon frame on EBay for an absolute bargin!

The geometry is far better than my 2008 model MKIII and it's obviously more plush thanks to the extra travel... but I do miss the MKIII's active rear travel under braking... the Ransom is a faux link so it firms up when braking.
    Last edited by <Steven>; 04-05-2012 at 05:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Hi everyone,
    Good to know that the IH forum is still alive esp the MKIII.
    I still have my MKIII tho, although i have stopped riding since 2 years ago and recently just started. Called the old gang for a ride and they are now on the 27.5, turner burner.
    They climbed effortless and fast on the decent. I'm impressed. However like everyone else, the price of the new DW link frames are expensive esp the 27.5

My regular shop has a stock clearance and selling the yeti 575 carbon chain stay for $1k and the turner 5 spot for $1.3k. Would anyone move from MKIII to Yeti 575? I'm more towards all mountain riding,going over some stones and roots but no higher than 3ft jump.

mtbr member
    anyone??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast