mtbr member
    Oct 2006

What to buy?? MKIII comp or Azure Comp

I'm lookin to buy a new bike and I've pretty much decided on either of these two bikes. I'm lookin for a decent climber and something i can bomb down the hill on too. I dont do anything too extreme though. The Azure is 1.5lbs lighter than the MKIII but of course doesn't have as much suspension travel.

Also I don't know if I should get the 19 or 21" frame. I'm 6'2" but I guess I have a longer torso and slightly shorter legs for a guy my height (pant length is 32) Will I be ok with the 19"?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have an Azure comp and a mkIII trail. If the climbs are steep and you have to do them while you are tired because the folks you are with are faster, or if you have tight twisties and need a steep head angle, the azure is better. It's good for 12 inch fire road drops but does not jump as well as a mkIII. Some skill and attention is requires to slimb steep loose surfaces on the mkIII.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    im selling a mkiii in the classified area.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    so the azure is definitely a better climber. With my height its almost a toss up whether to get the 19" or 21" frame. Does anyone have a picture of the 21" azure?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    a mkiii climbs plenty good.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I am 6'2 with a long torso as well.. 32' inseam too .. my arm wingspan in very wide at 78.5 inches.. I am on the 21' mkiii .. In case you are wondering the roch shox monarch that comes with the larger mkiii frames is a 2.1 model ..

Standover height on the 21" is close but I have got my foot or feet down without problem when I have had to make a save .. The longer top tube and wheelbase feels really cool as this is my first XL bike .. with all the extra room I am really able to get my weight inbetween the wheels and naturally control the bike from the sweet spot in amongst the suspension.. Can really bear down and drive the bike forward too...
    Gonna get rid of the 100mm EA50 stem and replace it with a 70 or 80mm and that should really keep my body position strong and my weight where I feel like I have the most control on the bike...

My other two bikes are Hardtail 19''s ... I would suggest that you get the 19'' if you like a longer stem or the 21' if you, like me, want to ride something with a shorter stem comfortably.

Also, just a suggestion, but I have been watching the pricing at RS cycle for about 7 months and it might be worth watching and waiting for a few weeks to see if they again apply a discount to the mkiii comp to make it 1200 or to see if they go on and release the 09s and re-spec the 2008s with 2009 parts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by knutso
    I am 6'2 with a long torso as well.. 32' inseam too .. my arm wingspan in very wide at 78.5 inches.. I am on the 21' mkiii .. In case you are wondering the roch shox monarch that comes with the larger mkiii frames is a 2.1 model ..

Standover height on the 21" is close but I have got my foot or feet down without problem when I have had to make a save .. The longer top tube and wheelbase feels really cool as this is my first XL bike .. with all the extra room I am really able to get my weight inbetween the wheels and naturally control the bike from the sweet spot in amongst the suspension.. Can really bear down and drive the bike forward too...
    Gonna get rid of the 100mm EA50 stem and replace it with a 70 or 80mm and that should really keep my body position strong and my weight where I feel like I have the most control on the bike...

My other two bikes are Hardtail 19''s ... I would suggest that you get the 19'' if you like a longer stem or the 21' if you, like me, want to ride something with a shorter stem comfortably.

Also, just a suggestion, but I have been watching the pricing at RS cycle for about 7 months and it might be worth watching and waiting for a few weeks to see if they again apply a discount to the mkiii comp to make it 1200 or to see if they go on and release the 09s and re-spec the 2008s with 2009 parts.

Thanks for the info! I am getting anxious to buy a new bike as i just got all my parts to convert my hardtail to a singlespeed but i don't want to do that until i have another geared bike to ride too. I think i'm gonna take your advice though and hold off for a bit to see if the prices change at all. at RScycle. I do think i'm gonna go for the 21" frame. Have you by any chance weighed yours? on the website it says 29.8lbs but i'm assuming they're using a 17" frame for that weight.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    My cheapo bathroom scale weighed my 30lb dumbell as 28.5 lbs
    and the 21'' 2008 MKIII comp with ultralight nashbar water bottle cage and 430g tioga MX pro pedals w/36pins registered just under 30lbs ..
    So I am guessing with my stuff the bike weighs about 31.5 lbs, without it maybe 30.5 lbs
    I am loving the bike with sag set at about 27% =) =)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Good to know. I'm hoping to keep mine at least under 30lbs. Probably end up doing some upgrades to get the weight down.

GAME ON!
    i'm thinking there's no way my mk can be over 30lbs with the build i have on it, but i have yet to weigh it. i'd think 28# is probably the absolute lowest you can safely make this bike.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Work Hard, Play Harder
    I'm 6'2 and ride a 19" Azure Comp with no issues at all after coming off a 21" GT hardtail, the Azure is plush, smooth,
    climbs extremely well, single tracks like it's on rails, and desends very well..

Get you an Azure Comp, you won't be disappointed..

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I received my 75mm 7d rise stem and 745mm bars yesterday, installed and rode for an hour and a half in the damp dark =)
    The 21'' 2008 mkiii now totally fits like a glove .. and body postitioning feels compact and overall great .. remember though my arms are very long ,, when I spread my "wings" fingertip to fingertip is 6'6.5 ..

If weight and climbing are primary concerns of yours, I would guess either the azure or 19'' mkiii with a 100+mm stem, just my two cents though =) The 19'' would weigh less and being able to run a long stem would put you in better position to climb..

I ride long stems on my 19'' hardtails and for my FS I was looking for a different feel which was totaly satisfied with the 21'' mkiii with 75mm stem

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I ended up ordering a 21" MKIII comp. Hopefully It will still be a good climber, I kept going back and forth between the 19 and the 21 and decided with the 21 because it sounded like most of the other guys my height were riding that. we will see when i get it... supposed to be here tuesday and i can't wait!
    bikes in the stable...
    '10 Yeti 575
    '99 Schwinn Homegrown Singlespeed
    '10 Cannondale CAAD9 5

U sayin' Bolt ?
    yeah man =) =)
    I think you made the right call with 21'' it is heavier by a lil bit, but man does it feel good with this 75mm stem http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...TAIN+BIKE+STEM