Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dropshot Champ!

Hope Welding the Seat Tube? Worth it?

Gah, I feel like this is beating a dead horse!

On my 2nd rear triangle and the seat tube broke a month or two back.

Then, I noticed it had a small hairline crack on the seat tube

I've heard of great results from two different mtbr threads. One was by Ventana (I live very close to them) and the other by Turner. In both cases, they hammered down a smaller diameter tube through the seat tube, all the way down. Then they welded the crap outta it, therefore reinforcing the bad weld with a whole new strength point.

Now I can't find out what happened to the Ventana guy, but the Turner guy rides pretty often and has had it for awhile with no problems.

My main thing is that I have a close friend who loves to ride but is down on money right now, and this could be awesome to get him out on the trails again. I can't imagine it costing that much, 75? 150 tops? I figured if he could pay for the repair, it'd easily pay for itself after the first few runs where he would need to rent.

Anyways, the hairline crack is pretty small, so (don't try this at home!) we took it out for a city ride the other day. Just made me miss this damn bike so much!

With heaaaavy primo meat tendorizers mallets, heavy front 2.35 nevegal, and tubes, it's only 29.16lbs. Easily 28 even with clipless and tubeless (which I already have)

It's got XT brakes, Titanium ztr Arch's, and a new Push-tuned shock.

So do you think it is worth it? Or am I beating a dead horse here and I should just move on? I already got a new bike to replace it.

-Adrian

26 for life.
    I don't regret spending $400 getting mine fixed. Certainly cheaper than a Pivot/Turner/Ibis for DW goodness.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

Dropshot Champ!
    I already bought the ibis

What the heck cost you 400 dollars to fix? That's alot more than I was thinking..

link?

26 for life.
    2 cracks in the swingarm, you have seen the other thread? It wasn't cheap, but it won't break again. I'm worried about the front end looking at yours. Gripsport fixed it.

Dropshot Champ!
    Ah okay. Sounds pretty pricey.

I think I'll give Ventana a call today about the seat tube.

Anyone else?

Dropshot Champ!
    I put a call into Ventana. Left a message.

:fingers crossed!:

Dropshot Champ!
    Ventana wants 325 to gusset, reweld, and 2 stage heat treat it. It would come back raw, with no powder (thats obviously extra), and 175 for a rear triangle.

My friend wasn't too interested in the 325 number.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiJohn
    I don't regret spending $400 getting mine fixed. Certainly cheaper than a Pivot/Turner/Ibis for DW goodness.
    is it really ? I mean you can find used mojo frames for around $1000, sell your front or rear triangle, shock and pivots for a couple hundreds as spare part making teh difference smaller. You then have a much better frame (I know I went this way) with a company that has outstanding customer service that will likely replace your frame under warrantee for a real defect (or for a low price) if you have any issues. Right now you repaired MKIII frame will likely put stress somewhere else, then what happens on your next break ? sink more money into it ?

26 for life.
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny
    is it really ? I mean you can find used mojo frames for around $1000,
    Not round here you can't, & I wouldn't buy unseen on the bay
    You then have a much better frame (I know I went this way) with a company that has outstanding customer service that will likely replace your frame under warrantee for a real defect (or for a low price) if you have any issues.
    Would you still have a warranty on a second hand frame? Probably not.
    Right now you repaired MKIII frame will likely put stress somewhere else, then what happens on your next break ? sink more money into it ?
    I know it's not a long term solution, but will do until I can pony up the dosh for the next big thing. After riding the old HT in the mean time, I'm tempted to get another Ti HT built for a big fork,

banned
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/714919/

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/755031/

The Second one is Carbon, and is closer to 1000 than expected.

banned
    Here's one for under 15 bones in Carbon too.

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/2090417597.html.

Cheaper than I'd uh thought.

26 for life.
    They're all carbon & a long way away.

banned
    adumesny brought it up, and is not off his game. Is there anything holding IH at the seams now other than enthusiasm? The 'warrantee' which follows a New 'in-business ' Frame maker can follow a 2nd owner, it is hardly ever recognized and the bike needs to be near mint. Still, it is much better than looking under the kitchen-sink to keep legs under a MKIII. Brian Bartlett http://fluidride.com/ still rides his Sunday, and that makes the name worth keeping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Not round here you can't, & I wouldn't buy unseen on the bay
    I found mine on ebay (barely used 2010 regular black mojo (SL which fetch quite a bit more (suppyl/demand I suppose) are only 130g lighter once you get the TI kit so good way to save $$), but bought it directly to both save on fees and ended up getting a full high end build instead of just frame (which would have been 1100). I've seen full XT build for $2500 or less.

Aussie, might be harder of course...

Would you still have a warranty on a second hand frame? Probably not.
    Not officially (only first owners) but I also read how incredible Ibis is at customer service, and having them replace things no questions asked. They are local (to me) and small company and very responsive online (I've had emails/PM during the weekend with them, they sent me stuff right away. Amazing... try that from the big companies. Even if it's your fault you can replace things for very low, which is like 250 (rear) 350 (front) I think. Hopefully I will never have to actually use them for real damage, but if I need to that is the company I would want to deal with.

The DW suspension on it is just great. There is a reason this was voted the best 3 years in a row at mtbr.com, and th carbon is beatiful (big user of carbon in my other sports over the years - alu just fatigues over time, used to break it all the time Windsurfing).
    Don't get me wrong... I loved my MKIII and would have kept it if I didn't fear it would desintegrate and be worth nothing (with aging components). Even talked to one of the co-owner of Ibis about MKIII and they had tried it as comparaison and shared my likes of that bike. The Mojo is just that much better... couple of us have switched (redmr2_man very recently)

26 for life.
    Well, there ain't none for sale down here.
    I'll just keep saving the coins until I can retire the old girl to the farm.

Dropshot Champ!
    Those numbers for replacement out of warranty were given to me by two seperate ibis reps, but then I met a guy who had to pay 500 for a front tri at Downieville, so I'm not sure. Either way, their customer service is legendary, seriously.

Mojo's aren't cheap, and I was lucky to get a great deal, but we're kinda limited if you wanted a bike that has almost identical geo and a dual link rear susp that you're already comfortable on.

-The marin bikes were great, but there were things I didn't like.
    -Turner 5spot and Ibis are both very expensive new, but the geo is almost exactly an mk3.
    -Banshee Spitfire has a bb low enough that my pedals would cry before every ride where I live.
    -Banshee Rune has a 67hta that would make me wheelie up every steep where I live.
    -Blur lt/2 is solid, and probably the best bet for someone on the cheap. 999 on chainlove, and even cheaper used on craigslist/ebay. I was seeing frame+fork+headset+crankset+f/r D's go for ~1200-1300. Not bad. VPP and DW link are close, although I personally feel DW link has better sbc.
    -Blur ltc / nomadc are very expensive also. Fantastic bikes though, they really are. VPP is pretty damn good.
    -Pivot mach5 (these are being phased out and so they're "fairly" cheap on ebay/cl as frame only, or frame+fork. Since they use a press-in xtr BB, it seems like they usually come with crankset+FD also. Fairly cheap for a pivot still means 1000 if you're lucky, and 1300+- otherwise), the new mach5.7, and the firebird. The pivot is the stiffest dual link bike I have ever felt. SOLID. But also expensive. The mach5 got the reputation as being too xc in feel, and I thought so as well. The new mach5.7 felt way more plush.

I'm lucky to be in a region (northern california) where I was able to hop on all of these bikes at one time or another, and so I knew what I liked. The Ibis takes everything I loved about my mkiii and made it better. With that said, I wish my mkiii had the support of parts and better welds, as I would have kept that bike forever.

Adumesny, you're in the bay area. I'm in Sacramento. We should ride sometime! I usually trek out there weekly or biweekly to hit tamarancho/pacifica/annadel/jmp/chinacamp/demo, or just hit up the local trail systems up here (Auburn, Salmon Falls, Granite Bay). I can show you some fun stuff if you're a fan of demo-style trails

GAME ON!
    there are plenty of frames to be had for $500-600 that will keep you more than happy while a) you save for another frame or b) realize that you don't need dw-link.

Dropshot Champ!
    I already have a mojo.

This is for a buddy to keep riding

GAME ON!
    tell him to get a job

Dropshot Champ!
    he has one.

I guess he could go buy a new specialized. Specialized new and improved warranty - you can't jump their bikes

Their warranty doesn't cover the rear triangle or linkages! It's like a new iron horse

banned
    That statement to where dw-link is not an essential suspension applies as an opinion only Bro. Any bike will pedal; any bike will absorb landings, and any bike will make-smooth rougher trail. dw-link bikes do have a characteristic to them where a hardtail-frame power transfer is made unique to it. If you don't care to devlope a riding style, mash-on. Myself along with countless others owning a Pivot, an IBIS, a Turner will agree that the dw-link reacts very natural, the rider follows suit. Whatever.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jemima
    That statement to where dw-link is not an essential suspension applies as an opinion only Bro. Any bike will pedal; any bike will absorb landings, and any bike will make-smooth rougher trail. dw-link bikes do have a characteristic to them where a hardtail-frame power transfer is made unique to it. If you don't care to devlope a riding style, mash-on. Myself along with countless others owning a Pivot, an IBIS, a Turner will agree that the dw-link reacts very natural, the rider follows suit. Whatever.

your opinion seems to be on a higher pedestal than mine. yourself, and countless others with $2500 frames may need to justify it however they can but i can't afford to, i went from dw-link to another suspension type and found that i did not need dw-link. interpret my italicized opinion as you see fit.

Dropshot Champ!
    How much did you pay for your enduro? I probably got a better deal on the mojo!

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    How much did you pay for your enduro? I probably got a better deal on the mojo!
    $600 for the framset. in silly canadian money, mind you.

Dropshot Champ!
    used?

thats a worse warranty than ih!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast