mtbr member
    May 2005

Warrior DS Limited

After researching off the forums, I recently decided to get the Warrior DS. Performance Bikes had a 20% coupon on an already 20% off sale price, which pushed me over the edge. The pre-shipping price was $768. I'm guessing this limited edition is a Performance Bike special? I haven't seen it offered anywhere else. It seems to rank slightly above the Warrior Pro. It has hydraulic brakes instead of mechanical, adjustable splice comp fork instead of splice elite, eggbeater pedals instead of wellgos, and a few other componentry differences.

I had wanted to step up to the hollowpoint and its dw-link. I had been researching that bike since the 2003 version, but had never wanted to shell out the dough.
    After reading several posts here about the minimal bobbing design on the 2005 warriors, i decided to go with this poor-man's single pivot heckler.

My old bike was a 1996 Proflex 856, which has served me well, but was definitely showing its age, as well as mine. with its three inch coil-over suspension, and quirky girvin linkage front fork, it wasn't up to the task of even 2 feet dropoffs. however, stock, it weighs 28lbs... something that can't be said about the warrior.

After assembling the bike, the 19" warrior came in at....35lbs.
    granted, the 2.4" tires are mad heavy.
    oh well, that's the price to pay for 5 inch plush suspension!
    I'm 5'10" - 150lbs and this bike is a good fit sitting still. I have yet to ride it, but took some pics of it shiny and new, replete with kick ass green paint job.

Last edited by perpetu8; 05-28-2005 at 01:43 PM.

mtbjk

sweet

like the green it looks very nice i like it better than my freinds blue warrior and it really is a sweet rideing bike and it will climb very well but is on the heavy side but drop the tires and you could knock off about 2 pds for a light set of 2.0 tires and it will still handle the technical stuff well enjoy the ride and get out and ride it and heres a pic of my freinds warrior and of course a pic of my hollowpoint
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Lookin Good!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jan R
    like the green it looks very nice i like it better than my freinds blue warrior and it really is a sweet rideing bike and it will climb very well but is on the heavy side but drop the tires and you could knock off about 2 pds for a light set of 2.0 tires and it will still handle the technical stuff well enjoy the ride and get out and ride it and heres a pic of my freinds warrior and of course a pic of my hollowpoint
    your posts and review on the warrior were instrumental in my purchase!

mtbjk
    Quote Originally Posted by perpetu8
    your posts and review on the warrior were instrumental in my purchase!
    glad to have been of help it truly is a decent rig for the dollar and it does climb very well I had no problems with my freinds other than the tires being heavy and you could tell on the flats and the climbs, but hit the drops and the hills and watchout it really rocks enjoy and like i said the green sure is sweet enjoy the ride Jan R

mtbr member
    May 2004

Very Nice!

Congrats!
    I took advantage of the Performace deal too but I went with the SE, haven't received it though.
    I'm curious as to why you went with the 19" frame, I'm 5'9" and I've always ridden medium (17") frames, in fact I did have a 19" when I started but I was soon convinced that it was too big for me.
    Please post your riding impressions as soon as you get some trail time.
    ah, also, where is the frame made BTW?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eyderman
    Congrats!
    I took advantage of the Performace deal too but I went with the SE, haven't received it though.
    I'm curious as to why you went with the 19" frame, I'm 5'9" and I've always ridden medium (17") frames, in fact I did have a 19" when I started but I was soon convinced that it was too big for me.

Thanks.
    i waffled about which size to get. my previous bike was an 18".
    went with the 19" cause iron horse labeled it as a medium.
    also, read this thread:Warrior Pro sizing
    the frame is made in china by Giant factories according to this thread: North Face selling copies of Hollowpoints?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eyderman
    Congrats!

Thanks.
    Yeah, I got one of the Warrior DS SE's too on that deal. It came in on Thursday and my LBS rocked out and had it ready for me Friday. I haven't gotten it on any trails yet but I've already put about 40 miles on it in 3 days. I did swap out the tires for my old Kenda Kross tires though b/c I usually end up doing mostly road riding due to a distinct lact of trails in the area. I am hoping to take my new baby out for some real abuse though this summer. She needs to get dirty. But anyways, she rides really well. Only problem is that the rear rotor came a little warped so it's rubbing a little, but I'll deal with that after I get my new pedals and shoes. Oh, and the frame had a sticker that said "made in china", as I remember.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Perpetu8,

Thanks for the links, you got me thinking about the frame size, but I was checking all the information I could find and comparing with my current frames, etc. and I still think I'll be happier with the 17", even if it's a little on the short side because I already have another cross country bike and with the IH I was just looking for something more comfortable and a bit more rugged.

Kainzero,

Do you have any pictures of your bike? the photos on the performance website were pretty blurry, so I'm really dying to see how the color looks like in the flesh.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hey perpetu8, I really like the bike that you got and pretty sure that will go with the same one for my self. But what I want to know is where and how you got your additional 20% coupon, can you be specific. Thanks, and thats a really sweet bike, can't wait till you post how the ride was.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    The Warrior 19" works for many riding an 18 or 17 because the standover is still very low. The top tube slopes down like on a 16" frame, IH then extends just the seatpost to 19" and welds a diagonal tube for support.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i finally got a chance to ride it last night. took it around Mianus park, Greenwich, CT.
    The bike rides beautifully.
    The 19" frame does not feel big at all, the fit is perfect for someone 5' 10".
    The longer travel 130mm splice forks made for the biggest difference compared to my last bike. it helped a lot in the climbs, absorbing hits from roots and small rocks, enabling me to continue climbing. i felt no bobbing at all from the rear suspension, and though this bike is heavier, i was able to make climbs better than on my older lighter bike.
    the bike is a little less nimble, but more stable, so i was still able to navigate tight spots, albeit a bit slower.
    log and rock obstacles are eaten up with ease thanks to the 5" suspension.
    creek traversals can be done more confidently due the larger tires.
    this is a probably not a great bike for racing, but it is perfect for cruising around the woods, and taking on jumps/dropoffs and obstacles when they appear.

btw, the 20% coupon was a Performance memorial day sale special. they had the code on their main page.

i'd be interested in seeing pics of the blue SE version that Performance sells, cause my friend is interested in getting one now...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just bought the Iron Horse Warrior DS SE today from craigslist and am happy with it so far. It is a great looking bike. I do think the front suspension needs to be a little tighter. Any comments from other riders on this bike? Thanks yall

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Got one of these in a trade last fall... I like it. A tad heavy, but it'll bomb hills like a champ! I put new cables and white housings on mine and I love how it looks... also put Avid BB7's on it.

Warrior DS Limited-1174688_10202159134889644_1791966212_n.jpg