mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Vivid on 05 7 point?

I'm thinking about buying a Vivid for my 05 7point because they sell them in 9x2.75 sizes. I'm just wondering if there are any issues as far as clearance goes. I know that the rocker links are a bit different on the 05 because it was built around the 5th Element. I'd like to know if it will work before I go out and buy one. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Anyone know what kind of tune for the vivid would be best?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    DW link suspension need the 'A' tune - the least amount of platform as the suspension has anti-squat build into the design. Also most of them are build around a linear air shock, but since the 7pt and Sunday came with coil shocks (which are progressive though current ones can be linear like RC4) maybe their were designed differently...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    What would the 'A' tune be? I've been looking online and I've seen the shocks come with high-low tunes, which one would it be? I've also heard a shock with low compression because the dw-link has anti-squat built in, but I may be wrong.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dutch23 View Post
    What would the 'A' tune be? I've been looking online and I've seen the shocks come with high-low tunes, which one would it be? I've also heard a shock with low compression because the dw-link has anti-squat built in, but I may be wrong.
    You got it, what you would need is "low" tune.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    You got it, what you would need is "low" tune.
    Thanks. I'll place an order for it tomorrow hopefully. Already bought a new shock mount kit, can't wait to get this new shock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just got a call from my bike shop saying that Rockshox told them they do not make the Vivid in that size, so it looks like I'm back where I started.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just got a call from my bike shop saying that Rockshox told them they do not make the Vivid in that size, so it looks like I'm back where I started.
    Why not just use an 8.75x2.75? Isn't that what the bike came with in the first place?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceuppercut View Post
    Why not just use an 8.75x2.75? Isn't that what the bike came with in the first place?
    2005 7 points were sold with 5th element rear shocks, which is 9x2.75. I'd like to keep the stock size, because I've heard you need new rocker links to run a 8.75x2.75 rear shock. But I've also heard you can just run a 8.75x2.75 without the new links. So if I would rather buy a shock with the original measurements first. But if I can't find a 9x2.75 shock I'll put on a 8.75x2.75 and see if that works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    2005 7 points were sold with 5th element rear shocks, which is 9x2.75. I'd like to keep the stock size, because I've heard you need new rocker links to run a 8.75x2.75 rear shock. But I've also heard you can just run a 8.75x2.75 without the new links. So if I would rather buy a shock with the original measurements first. But if I can't find a 9x2.75 shock I'll put on a 8.75x2.75 and see if that works.
    I'm selling my 9.5x3 air shock which I used to replace a 9x2.75 5th element as well, on an '05 IH Yakusa (same shock mount). I just ran it with more sag and it was ok.

It may work on older 7pt - I have a '08 7pt, but that has a different shorter standard size mount so I'm not sure testing it there would apply to you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    I'm selling my 9.5x3 air shock which I used to replace a 9x2.75 5th element as well, on an '05 IH Yakusa (same shock mount). I just ran it with more sag and it was ok.

It may work on older 7pt - I have a '08 7pt, but that has a different shorter standard size mount so I'm not sure testing it there would apply to you.
    Using a longer shock would raise my bb and give me a steeper headangle. I'd rather go with a shorter shock than a longer one because it will lower the bb and slacken the HA. Thanks for the offer though.