mtbr member
    Jan 2004

verifying msrp of Azure

Set me straight on the msrp of the Azure frame. It comes with a "factory" kit that is just the frame, rear shock and headset for $1599?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    Set me straight on the msrp of the Azure frame. It comes with a "factory" kit that is just the frame, rear shock and headset for $1599?
    I think the kit comes with a seatpost as well. Anyway at least in previous years the built up IH bikes cost almost like getting the frame alone so it was a much better deal to get the whole bike and sell off the parts you don't want on ebay.

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    The Azure Factory frame kit is approx $1599 and comes w/ a Progressive 5th Air & FSA Orbitz Zerostack headset.

The Azure Factory is a USA made frame, hence the higher price tag than years past.

Colors will be: Ano Black, Pastel Purple, and Pearl White.

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd
    The Azure Factory frame kit is approx $1599 and comes w/ a Progressive 5th Air & FSA Orbitz Zerostack headset.

The Azure Factory is a USA made frame, hence the higher price tag than years past.

Colors will be: Ano Black, Pastel Purple, and Pearl White.

-ska todd
    Gulp.

Riding a Rig.
    Well, thats what you get if you want a frame made in the US. Much higher costs... I am perfectly happy with a mass produced frame made in taiwan. If a problem does arise theres have a warenty on the frame, so no worrys. Also, the price is not bad at all compared it to the prices you pay for a similar botique brand bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    Well, thats what you get if you want a frame made in the US. Much higher costs... I am perfectly happy with a mass produced frame made in taiwan. If a problem does arise theres have a warenty on the frame, so no worrys. Also, the price is not bad at all compared it to the prices you pay for a similar botique brand bike.
    Good points. I too am perfectly happy with mass produced Taiwan frames. I used to buy highend $$$$ frames and was anti-Taiwan years ago, but now that country is like the Japan of cars. From a racer's perspective I don't need or want a boutique frame. Racers view frames as disposable, a tool to get the job done, and my results do not know the diff between continents. And the likes of Giant have incredible customer service, but on the flip side Jamis and I had a horrific experience.

Riding a Rig.
    yeah, I know Jamis had some issues. I think mainly the problem was that their sales exceeded their capabilites in the customer service department. I have heard a few times of people getting parts within 24 hours.

Crawlin' like a Crawfish!

difference?

besides being manufactured in USA as opposed to taiwan, what is the difference between the frames? Is it weight? It would make sense to buy the lowest priced complete bike with the taiwan frame and part it out if the specs are the same, wouldn't it?
    I'm in a groove now, or is it a rut?

mtbr member
    I think a lot of people still have the idea that if something is made in Taiwan it must be substandard (all products, not just bikes). That used to be true, back when manufacturing standards were low. But a lot has changed in the last decade. A lot of very high-quality products are coming out of places like Taiwan and the Philippines. The main reason frames from Taiwan cost less is that labor is cheaper. What we pay someone $20 an hour to do in the US may only cost $5 over there. Add to that all of the mandatory stuff such as workmans comp insurance and health care and you naturally have higher prices for an almost identical product here in the US.

I have no problem riding a frame made outside the US. I try to buy American whenever I reasonably can (hell, I'm int he Air Force and pretty damn patriotic) but there is a limit. When I can get the same product 30% less I can't pass it up. It just gives me more money to spend here in the States. Knowing my bike was made in Tuscon versus Taipai will not make me climb the hill any faster.

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by zoo00oom
    besides being manufactured in USA as opposed to taiwan, what is the difference between the frames? Is it weight? It would make sense to buy the lowest priced complete bike with the taiwan frame and part it out if the specs are the same, wouldn't it?
    The Azure Factory USA made frame will use some lighter bits and pieces to shave weight. The US frame is limited production and is the only way to get Ano Black, Pearl White, or Pastel Purple for 05.

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd
    The Azure Factory USA made frame will use some lighter bits and pieces to shave weight. The US frame is limited production and is the only way to get Ano Black, Pearl White, or Pastel Purple for 05.

-ska todd
    Crossing fingers that Supergo sells the frame for less than $800 come February. "Presidents' Day Iron Horse Sale." Uh huh.

Jan
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So do you know what the frame will be weighting?

Crawlin' like a Crawfish!

I second that question!

How much will it weigh, so I can compare it in weight and price to the many other 90-100 mm travel XC frames out there.
    I'm in a groove now, or is it a rut?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'll third it, and raise my hand in favour. I believe the motion is passed.

Industry Loudmouth
    Target weight for production = 5.5 - 6lbs.

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Geometry-100mm fork?

What is the geometry on the Azure, and will it be ok to run a 100mm fork on it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by barrows
    What is the geometry on the Azure, and will it be ok to run a 100mm fork on it?
    Considering some azure models come with a rockshox reba fork which is 115mm I would assume that 100mm would be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etal
    Considering some azure models come with a rockshox reba fork which is 115mm I would assume that 100mm would be fine.
    Where do you see this? The models I see on the pdf from their website list a sid, a skareb and the pilot.

I too am curious how the Azure will work with a 100mm fork (a fox F100X anyone?).

I know this is an Azure discussion but how much travel does the MkIII have in the rear? What will the MkIII frame weigh?

Thanks,
    -Ian

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    Where do you see this? The models I see on the pdf from their website list a sid, a skareb and the pilot.

I too am curious how the Azure will work with a 100mm fork (a fox F100X anyone?).

I know this is an Azure discussion but how much travel does the MkIII have in the rear? What will the MkIII frame weigh?

Thanks,
    -Ian
    Sorry, you are correct of course. I got mixed up with the MKIII specs.

Industry Loudmouth
    The Azure will work great w/ a 100mm fork. The Pilot and Skareb forks on the Comp and Expert are both 100mm.

-ska todd