Crawlin' like a Crawfish!

van hollowpoint incarnation #2

Here is the latest incarnation of the Van Hollowpoint.
    100mm Manitou Black Super Air
    5th element rear shock
    Raceface Evolve XC crank
    home built Ritchey hubs and wheels
    koski low rise handlebar
    kore stem
    thomson seat post
    wtb rocket v laser saddle
    sram x.7 shifters and rear der.
    xt front der.
    sram pp-970 11-34 cassette
    avid mech disc 160mm with speed dial 7 levers
    ritchey true grip grips
    IRC tires (notos up front and mythos in rear)
    I have ordered a pair of ritchey ZED race WCS tires to replace these aging tires.
    Also included is a photo of my friends bike that he just bought used. A cherry red 2002 hollowpoint with the absolutley sweet top tube!

On MTBR hiatus :(
    How do you like that Super Air?

I'm still riding a '01 X-Vert Air on my Hollowpoint, and I won't give it up. I love the combination of coil & air suspension and how smooth and responsively it rides, yet with the extra tunability and bottom out protection of air.

Unfortunatley (I haven't confirmed this yet, but saw it posted in the suspension forum) Manitou may be dropping the hybrid air/coil forks in 2005.

Great!

It originally came with a Black Sport which I could never get dialed in. Then I went to a dual air Duke Race, allright, but short travel.(80mm). Then I switched recently to this fork and man what a difference. Easy to setup and smooth as can be. I wish they wouldn't drop this type of fork.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    What do you think of the handling with the 100mm fork? I've been using a 125mm Fox Talas, but unless I get the leak fixed, I'm going to have to slap a Duke SL 100 on it that I have sitting around. I'm going to guess 5mm shouldn't make too much difference.

BTW, I think you should paint the letters on the fork black, purple or a mix of both. Gotta' tie that whole color scheme together.

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

works good

the Black sport was 100-120, which I tried in both postions (to me black sports are not very good). Then I switched to a Duke race with 80mm travel which was definitely a race postion, but not comfortable for everyday riding. The 100mm Black Super air seems to be right on the money for ride height (and super plush). I'm still messing with the stem trying to find the middle road.
    What's the problem with the talas? I thought Fox forx were invincible.
    And Lucky, thanks for your color scheme input, I was waiting for your response! I'll look at the lettering today and see what I can do.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by zoo00oom
    the Black sport was 100-120, which I tried in both postions (to me black sports are not very good). Then I switched to a Duke race with 80mm travel which was definitely a race postion, but not comfortable for everyday riding. The 100mm Black Super air seems to be right on the money for ride height (and super plush). I'm still messing with the stem trying to find the middle road.
    What's the problem with the talas? I thought Fox forx were invincible.
    And Lucky, thanks for your color scheme input, I was waiting for your response! I'll look at the lettering today and see what I can do.
    The Talas appears to me to have a manufacturing defect, but because I didn't ride much off road last summer, and wasn't able to get back on the mtbike until June of this year, it is past the 1-year mark for warrantee. I only had a handful of rides on it when it started puking oil out the top cap of the damper leg. I talked to Fox, but they weren't interested in helping me, other than to send me the world's smallest o-ring for the rebound damper shaft, and enough Fox stickers to put one on every wall of my house. ;^P

The more I look at the VanHollowpoint, the more I think it needs both black and purple on the fork. Can you do a couple of those nice graphic stripes, too? That's such an eye-catching bike. Very cool!

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.