mtbr member

Upgrading the rear suspension

Have any you current 2004 Hollowpoint sport owners upgraded your rear shocks to a SPV based shock? The bike comes with the QRL rear shock and I was wondering if it would be a noticable difference if I upgraded to a swinger? Thoughts, suggestions etc?

Thanks for the info
    -Mike

mtbr member
    I was thinking about maybe upgrading to a cloud nine shock. Has anyone done this? I weigh about 190. I figure the upgrade is very cheap at about 250

mtbr member
    Has no one upgraded their suspension?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by skibud2
    Has no one upgraded their suspension?
    I have an Cane Creek AD12 on mine. The psuedo lockout on the Cloud Nine is unnecessary for the Hollowpoint, and you would lose the volume plate adjustment, but the rebound and compression damping is improved over a wider range on that shock versus the other Cane Creeks.

As for the ride quality, I like it very much. The AD12 allows the suspension to remain very active and sensitive to the small stuff. The internal volume adjustment is an insurance of sorts against the shock bottoming out in rough stuff, although I do run it in the high volume position.

Crawlin' like a Crawfish!

2002.5-2003

I upgraded my 1 1/2 year old hollowpoint with a 5th element shock. I would have quit riding the bike if I hadn't have done that. The original fox vanilla coil spring was a joke. I had to preload the spring so much to overcome all the pedal bob that I might as well been riding a hard tail.
    I took a chance on the new shock instead of buying a new frame. To make this bike rideable I also changed the fork to a Duke race. Now the pedal bob isn't as bad and the geometry is much more XC like. It was a hollowpoint sport and the combo of the Black sport and the vanilla rear shock made it unbearable.
    I really enjoy the ride now and it has become my main ride this season.
    I hope the 2004 models are setup better.
    My pet peeve with this years, is why all the hollowpoints (regular, RL and now MTX?) Did they run out of ideas for names? They did the same stupid thing with the SGS. Hey Ironhorse, if you need ideas just ask us on the MTBR message boards!

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by zoo00oom
    It was a hollowpoint sport and the combo of the Black sport and the vanilla rear shock made it unbearable.
    I really enjoy the ride now and it has become my main ride this season.
    I couldn't understand why a bike with a sag-critical suspension such as the dw-link came with a coil shock in the first place. That seemed like a good way to set up a lot of riders for disappointment, or at least a lot of frustration getting everything dialed in. An air shock (or air assisted coil or a shop with a good selection of coil springs) is nearly a necessity on this bike.

Like you, I didn't like the handling of the bike with a 120mm fork. I've got a 105mm unit on there now with a healthy amount of sag and it handles like a champ.

mtbr member
    f*nŠtik I sent you a e-mail about a question on had on the dimension of the mounting plates on the 2003 hollowpoint.