mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Upgrading Rear Shock 03 Hollowpoint Expert

I know some of you guys have changed out the rear shock to some of your Hollowpoints. I have the Fox Float w/ AVA. And, being my first FS ride, I am pretty happy with it except I like to always screw with things to make them better. I was looking at the 5th element (used on HP Team 04) but $450 is kind of steep. I read alot of great reviews regarding the AD12 and the Cloud 9. And, they could be had for less than $230. ANd, I hear maintenance is super easy on the CanCreek shocks. Is it worth changing the rear shock? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I feel silly for suggesting it, since the AD12 is caveman simple compared to the 5th Element and Swinger shocks and even the AVA you have now. But the fact is I really dig the AD12 on the Hollowpoint, I prefer it over the AVA I used for a few weeks, but I can't offer a comparision to the 5th Air which Todd claims is the King Squish.

The deal with the Cane Creek shocks is that they're air damped, and lack some of the refinement and consistancy of an oil damped unit. But they do offer a very responsive rebound adjustment, a somewhat less responsive compression adjustment, the AD-12 has a 3-position volume adjustment, and they can be rebuilt on your kitchen counter in less than 30 minutes using a $12 seal kit.

On top of that, the dw-link isn't exactly in need of platform damping (the AD-12 kinda sorta proves that point). The 5th Element setup instructions I've seen from Iron Horse have you minimize the SPV threshold with an eye on maintaining the shock's sensitivity.

I don't know that making the switch is worth the dollar cost to you, but my perception is it is a noticable improvement.

Industry Loudmouth
    The reason we recommend CVT/SPV shocks for the Hollowpoint isn't as much for pedalling performance as it is for tuning end stroke/bottom out

You'll see more of what we mean soon enough...

-ska todd

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd
    You'll see more of what we mean soon enough...
    Oh, stop with the tease already. We're a loyal bunch that can keep a secret -- spill the beans!

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    Oh, stop with the tease already. We're a loyal bunch that can keep a secret -- spill the beans!
    It will all come with time...

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks Fellas

Nate,

You are one of the reasons I bought this bike why after hundreds of miles of singletrack that I think that the Hollowpoint should be awarded best bang/ride for the buck award! The reason I was contemplating converting to the AD12 was from reviews and some guys who use it for more XC oriented FS bikes. I now ride more all-mountain versus worrying about speed and value comfort, efficiency, and control. The Hollowpoint allows me to do this and stay seated for 3 to 4 hour rides. From your opinion, I probably should just keep the the Float RL. Next year, I was thinking about letting PUSH rebuild the sucker and make to even better. Nate and SKA Todd, thanks for your insight.