mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Upgrade Seatpost on '05 Comp III: Suggestions?

Hi,

I have a small 05 Comp III that I want to replace the seatpost on. I would like to upgrade it to Carbon Fiber or Titanium but I need an "offset" type as I need to slide back a couple of inches. Currently I am a bit to forward on my bike and have no more adjustability. Can anyone reccomend a high end seatpost in 30.0 mm with an offset?

Thanks,
    Tony

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's going to be tough to find a carbon or Ti post in 30.0 with an offset. The Race Face Next SL Carbon comes to mind but that's only .5" offset, and Easton makes a few but they only have a small offset (I believe it's 10mm). There are others but they're typically either aluminum posts or don't offer an offset in a 30.0 diameter.
    Ex-employee of

Iron Horse www.ironhorsebikes.com
    K2 Bikes www.k2bike.com

mtbr member
    Get a Thomson post. End of thread

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thompson sounds good but I haven't been able to find one in 30.0mm. What do You guys think of the I-Beam setup?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I-beams are uncomfortable...in my opinion

Thomson makes a 30.0, I have a few of them on my bikes and have one on my MKIII

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You can find their regular straight posts in 30.0 no problem, http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/THOKKZP2. They don't make their setback version in a 30.0 however.
    Ex-employee of

Iron Horse www.ironhorsebikes.com
    K2 Bikes www.k2bike.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBronzeDago
    Hi,

I have a small 05 Comp III that I want to replace the seatpost on. I would like to upgrade it to Carbon Fiber or Titanium but I need an "offset" type as I need to slide back a couple of inches. Currently I am a bit to forward on my bike and have no more adjustability. Can anyone reccomend a high end seatpost in 30.0 mm with an offset?

Thanks,
    Tony
    As the others have noted, it's difficult to find a large-offset post with a 30.0mm diameter. If you don't mind using a shim, your options increase somewhat. Two posts to consider are the FSA K-Force Lite Carbon Seatpost and the Titec El Norte Bent post. The FSA K-Force post comes in three offsets, 0mm, 25mm, and 32mm. The Titec post has an offset of 50mm and is made of aluminum.

Another option, albeit an expensive one, is to purchase a custom Titanium post from Bold Precision. No shim is necessary with this post because you can specify (within limits) both the offset and seatpost diameter, even oddball diameters like 30.0 or 30.2mm. (See below.)

On my MkIII, I found that the seat tube I.D. was bigger than 30.0mm. I measured it at 30.2mm. On my first few rides with the stock 30.0mm Easton post, I found that the post would continually slip and would require readjustment several times per ride. Shortly thereafter, I switched to using the Titec post mentioned above along with a 27.2mm -> 30.2mm shim. This post and shim combination fits perfectly and never slips.
    Last edited by KevinB; 09-12-2008 at 02:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by handy-andy
    Get a Thomson post. End of thread
    I like Thomson posts too, but it's not a good choice if you need more than 16mm of offset.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Wow, sorry, missed that you needed a setback. The Ibeam posts give a ton of adjustment fore and aft. The new seats are apparently much more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering an SDG legacy seatpost with a Bel Air Saddle (I-Beam). So we'll see how it goes! I will look into the custom ti post though, that sounds awesome!