mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thoughts on the IronHorse HOLLOWPOINT MK III COMP

Crew,
    Can someone give me some info on the HOLLOWPOINT MK III COMP? I have been looking for reviews but have not found them. I am not famaliar with IronHorse bikes. Is this a good company? Any information on this bike or the other hollowpoints would be great.

Cheers,
    Monte

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by montejr
    Crew,
    Can someone give me some info on the HOLLOWPOINT MK III COMP? I have been looking for reviews but have not found them. I am not famaliar with IronHorse bikes. Is this a good company? Any information on this bike or the other hollowpoints would be great.

Cheers,
    Monte
    Search this forum and the What Bike to Buy Forum for the search terms: Iron Horse, MKIII, DW link and you will find a lot of information.

There are some short magazine reviews on the MKIII such as at bicycling that you can find on the net.

In a nutshell IH licensed the dw-link (www.dw-link.com) suspension design on this bike as well as several of their other models. This suspension design has won over many of us on this forum due to its ability to filter out pedal induced bob while still being very compliant, and w/o relying on a platform valved shock.

This particular model is geared towards the "Trail" market with its 5" of travel and burly build.

IH is well known for having stellar customer service.

The other models in the MKIII line share the same exact frame and only differ wrt to parts spec. While IH makes a good bikes all around I wouldn't get anything other than a DW-LINK suspension if I was getting an Iron Horse.

For more of an XC rig the Azure is 3.5" of rear travel. Last years 2004 Hollowpoint is sort of a combination of an XC and trail bike and was the bike that really seems to have put Iron Horse on the map and create a cult following for the DW-link.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Definitely browse the reviews of the Hollowpoint bikes. More of the same, but think "stiffer" and "burlier".
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

and think about the expert model

Also, considering coughing up the few hundred more for an expert model. It's one of those things where you can spend a little more and get a whole lot more for your money. Pike, x.9, Hayes carbon disks, v-drive cranks, I don't remember all the differences, I just remember the expert seemed like a no-brainer over the comp when I was buying mine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Great bike, but heavy

I just bought this bike for $1400 which I thought was a steal. I've got about 20 hrs on it and love the dwlink suspension. MKIII comes w/ decent parts, but the bike is trail heavy at over 32 lbs. I'm considering carbon handlebars, seatpost, and lighter (think 2.10) tires to drop the weight.

I read a review of the MKIII on this site that found the Reba shocks to be touchy, but they feel great to me.